Me

Default Carrier Infinity vs Performance HVAC Quotes and Questions

I am looking at 2 different Carrier HVAC sytems.
#1 includes a Performance 93 (58MTA080) , a Performance 12 AC (38TZA036 &
CC5AXA036 coil) with a Thermidistat(TSTATCCPRH01).
$7500
#2 Infinity system including the Infinity 96 furnace (58MVP080) and Infinity
18 AC (38TDB036) along with the Infinity Control.
$8700
Both systems include all installation, permits, sales tax, electrical,
correcting some airlfow issues by installing some manual dampers and also a
10 year parts and labor warranty on entire system. The price is out the door
and I have already calculated any rebates into price posted above. Do those
2 prices sound like a good deal? I am still undecided if i want to spend the
addtional money for the infinity system. I live in southwest Ohio. It is so
hard to compare prices between contractors as the quality of the install
plays a big part and the cheapest isnt always the best. The contractor is a
Carrier Distinquished Dealer and a Factory Authorized dealer.

Stretch

Pricing depends on his overhead and what he is doing. When I price a
job, I bid what it will cost ME to do it plus reasonable profit. My
overhead is higher than some other contractors, lower than some other
contractors. I often do duct mods that others ignore.

I am certified air balance and certified residential energy auditor.
Simple replacements I am not competitive, but I can do air balance work
that others can not do at any price.

Not trying to be the cheapest or most expensive, just the best.

Not the answer you were looking for maybe, just rambling. The answer
for you is that he is more qualified than most contractors, that is
worth something. Whether to go for the high end system depends on your
utility rates and bills. Also high end systems often provide better
comfort and reliability, but it is hard to put $$$$ on that.

Stretch

Joseph Meehan

#1 includes a Performance 93 (58MTA080) , a Performance 12 AC
(38TZA036 & CC5AXA036 coil) with a Thermidistat(TSTATCCPRH01).
$7500
#2 Infinity system including the Infinity 96 furnace (58MVP080) and
Infinity 18 AC (38TDB036) along with the Infinity Control.
$8700
Both systems include all installation, permits, sales tax, electrical,
correcting some airlfow issues by installing some manual dampers and
also a 10 year parts and labor warranty on entire system. The price
is out the door and I have already calculated any rebates into price
posted above. Do those 2 prices sound like a good deal? I am still
undecided if i want to spend the addtional money for the infinity
system. I live in southwest Ohio. It is so hard to compare prices
between contractors as the quality of the install plays a big part
and the cheapest isnt always the best. The contractor is a Carrier
Distinquished Dealer and a Factory Authorized dealer.

As Stretch indicated, there is more to a system than the mechanics. The
best mechanical system will not be as good as a fair system if it is not
sized and installed properly. This goes for replacements as well as new
installs.

I suggest you start by picking a contractor first, then the equipment
based on their experienced opinions.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit