Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Sony TC-FX311 cassette deck problem

I should experiment before posting, I know. I had the cassette deck
that wouldn't play more than a few seconds. When I opened the lid, I
found an optical interrupter attached to the tape counter, and it wasn't
moving. I tried spinning it by hand when it was in play mode, and it
began turning. At that point, the tape deck kept running. FWIW, the
interrupter was connected to the transport with two belts in series.
I'm not yet sure if the problem is internal to the transport or in the
pulley that connects those two belts; I think it may be internal to the
transport.

Torque still seems low, for rewind is not much good, and fast forward is
more like forward with no sound.

From http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/...q.htm#audtcdrw, I
presume that http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/...aq.htm#audgeng or
perhaps http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/...aq.htm#audlube (mostly
to warn me not to do this) may be my friend.

In particular, I'm guessing that some belt is no longer in the prime of
its life. Any further tips (e.g., whether I'm likely on the right
track, whether there are diagrams for removing and replacing the rubber
belts and pulleys, or sources for replacement belts -- I did check the
FAQ but didn't find any information) would be appreciated.

TIA,

Bill
--
Bill Harris