Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Mitsubishi Diva CT-33AC2SL dead and clicking

Truly ancient but good tech. I have a 1994 Mitsubishi Diva on swivel
base, trouble free until now. Sentmentally attached to it, the
problem has exhibited and slowly become worse over the last few months
until now it is "dead and clicking".

The picture over the last few months has occasionally just turned off,
but a little tap with a closed fist in the sweet spot on the side has
turned it back on. The problem has become worse, until the wife
called me at work yesterday and said it is dead and a loud clicking
noise is coming from the chassis (left hand side, where I had been
tapping it) and the standby light was clicking on and off, trying to
turn on.

Alas, cannot get it to work now. CLicking noise, and standby red
light clicking on and off, on and off.

Could it be the electrolytic capacitors? Anyone got any suggestions
on what it could be? It is fairly old, but we love the picture and may
get it fixed instead of leaping into the new tech (plasma or lcd).

Thanks

Lino
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
[...]

Sounds like it had a cold solder joint which would have been a quick
easy fix, but you continued to use it until the bad connection blew out
the HOT or other power semiconductor and now it will be considerably
more work to repair. A tech can still fix it for you without too much
work, but it would have been probably 1/4 the cost if you'd taken it in
when it first started to act up.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 19:56:05 -0500, Meat Plow
wrote:

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 07:53:09 +0800, thang Has Frothed:

[...]

Check for solder joints you may have beaten loose.

Right. So why the intermittent clicking and flashing of the indicator?

lino
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 02:08:19 GMT, James Sweet

[...]

Well life's a learning experience all the way. What do you mean "bad
connection"? Solder loosened, clip joint or friction connector loose?
It is on the board in that area do you think, or a module like the
power supply? I wonder if anyone has the manual for the unit or how
to get it?

Lino
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 09:13:22 -0500, Meat Plow
wrote:

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 18:37:44 +0800, thang Has Frothed:

[...]

Try

http://www.eserviceinfo.com/
https://www.manualsparadise.com/AboutOurStore.do

I shall. Thanks.
Lino

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 08:43:48 +0000, yesplease
wrote:

Could be the flyback shorting.

Thank you.

Lino
Junior Member

Np. If it is the flyback, you should be able to take off the back and hear it clicking, as well as see it arcing if it can build up enough charge before shorting. Could be something else too...
I've read that if a flyback goes, it can take out the HOT too... So fixing it may be a very YMMV deal.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 23:07:47 +0000, yesplease
wrote:

Np. If it is the flyback, you should be able to take off the back and
hear it clicking, as well as see it arcing if it can build up enough
charge before shorting. Could be something else too...
I've read that if a flyback goes, it can take out the HOT too... So
fixing it may be a very YMMV deal.

Went and bought a Panasonic 106cm Viera, waiting on delivery right
now. Will give the Mitsi to my daughter if she wants to fix it. Can
I ask, what is "YMMV"?

thang