Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Sizing a Bench Grinder Capacitor

Have a bench grinder that was given to me and runs fine if you spin it
up by hand - the capacitor is missing. Is there a way to determine what
size/part no. capacitor will work with a 115V 60Hz Single Phase motor?

Thanks in advance.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"leoJ" wrote in message
ups.com...

Have a bench grinder that was given to me and runs fine if you spin it
up by hand - the capacitor is missing. Is there a way to determine what
size/part no. capacitor will work with a 115V 60Hz Single Phase motor?

HP?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Homer J Simpson wrote:
"leoJ" wrote in message
ups.com...

Have a bench grinder that was given to me and runs fine if you spin it
up by hand - the capacitor is missing. Is there a way to determine what
size/part no. capacitor will work with a 115V 60Hz Single Phase motor?

HP?

3/4 HP, 3600 RPM

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"leoJ" wrote in message
ups.com...

Homer J Simpson wrote:
"leoJ" wrote in message
ups.com...

Have a bench grinder that was given to me and runs fine if you spin it
up by hand - the capacitor is missing. Is there a way to determine what
size/part no. capacitor will work with a 115V 60Hz Single Phase motor?

HP?

3/4 HP, 3600 RPM

Likely a motor start capacitor.
http://www.cde.com/new/catalog/motorstart/

CDE motor start capacitor catalog page (download this - right mouse click -
Adobe Acrobat)
http://www.cde.com/catalogs/PSU.pdf

I am looking at a NOS Mallory motor start capacitor on my bench --
it is rated at: 108-130 mfd at 250 VAC

Application Guide
http://www.cde.com/catalogs/AEappGUIDE.pdf

gb

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"w9gb" writes:

"leoJ" wrote in message
ups.com...

Homer J Simpson wrote:
"leoJ" wrote in message
ups.com...

Have a bench grinder that was given to me and runs fine if you spin it
up by hand - the capacitor is missing. Is there a way to determine what
size/part no. capacitor will work with a 115V 60Hz Single Phase motor?

HP?

3/4 HP, 3600 RPM

Likely a motor start capacitor.
http://www.cde.com/new/catalog/motorstart/

CDE motor start capacitor catalog page (download this - right mouse click -
Adobe Acrobat)
http://www.cde.com/catalogs/PSU.pdf

I am looking at a NOS Mallory motor start capacitor on my bench --
it is rated at: 108-130 mfd at 250 VAC

Application Guide
http://www.cde.com/catalogs/AEappGUIDE.pdf

If it's used only for starting.

Easiest test would be to spin it up by hand and then use a multimeter
to check for voltage across the wires where the cap would go. If you
see full line voltage, it's a run cap.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
me me is offline

Sam Goldwasser wrote in
:

"w9gb" writes:

"leoJ" wrote in message
ups.com...

Homer J Simpson wrote:
"leoJ" wrote in message
ups.com...

[...]

snip waste text

Most bench grinders I've seen use a motor run capacitor.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

me wrote:
Sam Goldwasser wrote in
:

"w9gb" writes:

"leoJ" wrote in message
groups.com...

Homer J Simpson wrote:

"leoJ" wrote in message
legroups.com...

[...]

But if he has to spin it to start it, that would imply it's just a
starting capacitor. Can you hear an audible click as it picks up speed
and again just as it slows to a stop?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"leoJ" wrote in message
ups.com...
Have a bench grinder that was given to me and runs fine if you spin it
up by hand - the capacitor is missing. Is there a way to determine what
size/part no. capacitor will work with a 115V 60Hz Single Phase motor?

Thanks in advance.

Do you have a mfg. or model number for this bench grinder?

gb

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

James Sweet writes:

me wrote:
Sam Goldwasser wrote in
:
"w9gb" writes:

"leoJ" wrote in message
ups.com...

Homer J Simpson wrote:

"leoJ" wrote in message
legroups.com...

[...]

No, a split phase induction motor with an open or missing cap will not
start regardless of whether it is a start or run cap. Spinning by hand
will get it going (assuming minimal load).

An induction motor designed to have a run cap will still run without one
if started manually but won't have rated torque.

An induction motor designed to have a start cap will still run without
one if started manually and will have rated torque.

The main functional difference is that the start cap is not rated for
continuous operation and is removed from the circuit once the motor
reaches about 75 percent of operating speed.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"w9gb" wrote in
:

"leoJ" wrote in message
ups.com...
Have a bench grinder that was given to me and runs fine if you spin
it up by hand - the capacitor is missing. Is there a way to determine
what size/part no. capacitor will work with a 115V 60Hz Single Phase
motor?

Thanks in advance.

Do you have a mfg. or model number for this bench grinder?

gb

Central Machinery Industrial #36127

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Central Machinery Industrial #36127 is what it says on the label.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Hope this doesn't end up getting posted 3 times - having trouble
sending....

Central Machinery Industrial #36127
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

nowan wrote:

Hope this doesn't end up getting posted 3 times - having trouble
sending....

Central Machinery Industrial #36127

Central Machinery is sold by Harbor Freight Tools, Inc. They may
still have the manual on file.

http://www.harborfreight.com/

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.