Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Ultra miniature pots anywhere in the UK?U

Or a good keyword for searh engines
Well they seem smaller than the sub miniature classification, plain linear
or logs, not funny balance pots or vol pots with low vol compensation
take-offs etc
Body of order 10 to 12mm diameter or edges but length to end of spindle
35mm. I'm getting a bit tired of trying to find

space for sub-miniature size and packing out for the spindle to poke through
the chassis. The wipers on these seem so flimsy that the lubricant inside
going claggy seems to be enough to lift the tiny wiper wishbones to break
contact. The tracks are never worn. I'm reluctant to clear out the grease
and replace as they just seem mechanically so flimsy anyway, the wiper
contacts must be no more than order of 0.5mm.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

N Cook wrote:
Or a good keyword for searh engines
Well they seem smaller than the sub miniature classification, plain linear
or logs, not funny balance pots or vol pots with low vol compensation
take-offs etc
Body of order 10 to 12mm diameter or edges but length to end of spindle
35mm. I'm getting a bit tired of trying to find

space for sub-miniature size and packing out for the spindle to poke through
the chassis. The wipers on these seem so flimsy that the lubricant inside
going claggy seems to be enough to lift the tiny wiper wishbones to break
contact. The tracks are never worn. I'm reluctant to clear out the grease
and replace as they just seem mechanically so flimsy anyway, the wiper
contacts must be no more than order of 0.5mm.

Rapid Electronics -
http://www.rapidonline.com/

Ron

--
Lune Valley Audio
Public Address Systems
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ron(UK) wrote in message
N Cook wrote:
[...]

Ta, best source so far the Vishay Spectrol ones on Rapid. Strangely the
Vishay site datasheets for those 148/149 types don't have the spindle
lengths but scaling from the 12mm they are about 25mm and also 1/4 inch
diameter. That has solved the pcb footprint aspect.
It looks as though I'll have to get a range of them , cut back their shafts
a bit and add cut off long shafts from other pots or 5mm or 1/4 inch
diameter rod plus ferules for extenders up to 35 or 40 mm, at least that way
I won't have the knob mismatch problem of cicular/splined/small D/large
D/5mm and 1/4 inch. Just too many variables unless your a manufacturer
ordering 1000 or more specials

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

N Cook wrote:
Ron(UK) wrote in message
N Cook wrote:
[...]

Can you still get those brass shaft extenders (ooer missis!) RS and
Farnells used to sell them? I must admit that I`ve extended one or two
using shaft sawn off old pots and glue lined heatshrink sleeving.

Ron

--
Lune Valley Audio
Public Address Systems
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ron(UK) wrote in message
N Cook wrote:
Ron(UK) wrote in message
N Cook wrote:
[...]

I tend to see only plastic shaft opnes and tend to use ballpoint pen tops ,
cut down, to bridge the join 1/4 to 1/4 or 5mm because of taper and liberal
melting/welding of plastic and hot-melt string. Metal ones i've
turned/drilled down brass rod stubs and tapped radial threads for grub
screws

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England