Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Replace the tube or chuck it?

I have a JVC 27 inch tv with standard picture tube. Its about 15 yrs old
now and I like the set because it has a built in surround sound system. My
problem is that it appears that the picture tube is getting weak. When I
turn it on, it is very bright, like the contrast is turned way up, but as
time goes on, the picture come closer to normal, but it appears the colors
are out of alignment as well. What I'm wondering is, is it cost effective
to replace the tube? If its not more than a couple of hundred dollars, I
think it might be. Any tv techs out there know what a ballpark price on
something like that might be? Thanks in advance.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Brian O wrote:

I have a JVC 27 inch tv with standard picture tube. Its about 15 yrs old
now and I like the set because it has a built in surround sound system. My
problem is that it appears that the picture tube is getting weak. When I
turn it on, it is very bright, like the contrast is turned way up, but as
time goes on, the picture come closer to normal, but it appears the colors
are out of alignment as well. What I'm wondering is, is it cost effective
to replace the tube? If its not more than a couple of hundred dollars, I
think it might be. Any tv techs out there know what a ballpark price on
something like that might be? Thanks in advance.

With repairs one has to start by determiing the cause of the fault.
Otherwise nothing else one does is of any use. This is why we have
repair people. It does not sound like you have a tube fault.

NT

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Brian O wrote:

I have a JVC 27 inch tv with standard picture tube. Its about 15 yrs old
now and I like the set because it has a built in surround sound system. My
problem is that it appears that the picture tube is getting weak. When I
turn it on, it is very bright, like the contrast is turned way up, but as
time goes on, the picture come closer to normal, but it appears the colors
are out of alignment as well. What I'm wondering is, is it cost effective
to replace the tube? If its not more than a couple of hundred dollars, I
think it might be. Any tv techs out there know what a ballpark price on
something like that might be? Thanks in advance.

A simple NO it is not cost affective, plus 15 years WOW the rest of the
comps are most likely getting tired as well
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

David Naylor wrote:
Brian O wrote:

I have a JVC 27 inch tv with standard picture tube. Its about 15 yrs old
now and I like the set because it has a built in surround sound system. My
problem is that it appears that the picture tube is getting weak. When I
turn it on, it is very bright, like the contrast is turned way up, but as
time goes on, the picture come closer to normal, but it appears the colors
are out of alignment as well. What I'm wondering is, is it cost effective
to replace the tube? If its not more than a couple of hundred dollars, I
think it might be. Any tv techs out there know what a ballpark price on
something like that might be? Thanks in advance.

A simple NO it is not cost affective, plus 15 years WOW the rest of the
comps are most likely getting tired as well

but since that cant be the fault anyway...
When I
turn it on, it is very bright, like the contrast is turned way up

NT

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

Brian O wrote:
I have a JVC 27 inch tv with standard picture tube. Its about 15 yrs old
now and I like the set because it has a built in surround sound system. My
problem is that it appears that the picture tube is getting weak. When I
turn it on, it is very bright, like the contrast is turned way up, but as
time goes on, the picture come closer to normal, but it appears the colors
are out of alignment as well. What I'm wondering is, is it cost effective
to replace the tube? If its not more than a couple of hundred dollars, I
think it might be. Any tv techs out there know what a ballpark price on
something like that might be? Thanks in advance.

i'd start by changing the cap on ther RGB 200v line, often on the crt's
circuit board.post results.

--b

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 17:22:44 -0600, "Brian O"
wrote:

I have a JVC 27 inch tv with standard picture tube. Its about 15 yrs old
now and I like the set because it has a built in surround sound system. My
problem is that it appears that the picture tube is getting weak. When I
turn it on, it is very bright, like the contrast is turned way up, but as
time goes on, the picture come closer to normal, but it appears the colors
are out of alignment as well. What I'm wondering is, is it cost effective
to replace the tube? If its not more than a couple of hundred dollars, I
think it might be. Any tv techs out there know what a ballpark price on
something like that might be? Thanks in advance.

Not necessarily a tube problem you know . . . Usually there's some
"blooming" (think that's what it is called) as the CRT gets weak -
emission dropping. Lack of contrast as the scene brightens. Colors
not right - isn't necessarily the tube either. So troubleshoot it
with an open mind - all the other components are 15 years old.

Don't they still make/sell picture tube restorers or rejuvenators?
May not be practical for one tube, but a service shop, or arcade game
repair shop may do it for you.

I worked TV repair a zillion years ago and we'd tell the customer the
bad news and give them the option - do it right there in the house if
it was a road call or on the counter if they brought it in. In theory,
some tubes die when restoring but I never saw it. I think they work
by ripping some of the coating off the cathodes exposing fresh
material.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Brian O wrote:
I have a JVC 27 inch tv with standard picture tube. Its about 15 yrs old
now and I like the set because it has a built in surround sound system. My
problem is that it appears that the picture tube is getting weak. When I
turn it on, it is very bright, like the contrast is turned way up, but as

________________________
You have unwittingly answered your own question. Factory torched
contrast settings are a sure way to sell TVs, but are sure to kill CRTs
like yours and CRT projection sets early. Turn down the contrast as
far as you can and can still see the picture. 15 years the phosphors
on the tube face are probably toast. You may also bring up the
"brightness"(dark shadow details) a little. This will bring out the
light-gray pinstripes on a darkgray suit.
_________________________
time goes on, the picture come closer to normal, but it appears the colors
are out of alignment as well. What I'm wondering is, is it cost effective
to replace the tube? If its not more than a couple of hundred dollars, I
think it might be. Any tv techs out there know what a ballpark price on
something like that might be? Thanks in advance.

___________________
Color maligned - is it too red, too blue, or oversaturated in general?
Turn color down until it just appears b&w - then turn it back up until
color reappears. Think: Do the colors on that NASCAR paintjob really
bleed into each other like that?? It's time to get the overbright,
cartooney image of TV imposed by manufacturers out of your mind - NOW.

As for tint - trust me on this - tune to History Channel or C-Span when
a closeup of a speaker is on. In the absence of blue bars or test
patterns - simply adjust the tint until people look
like...well...people!

These contingency settings will get you a vieweable picture while you
evaluate your options.
P.S: These lowered settings will after a while reveal the ringing and
artificial lines the sharpness control is no doubt adding to subjects
on screen - turn it down a little on a daily basis - you will start to
see details previously lost when color and contrast were set to guide
planes into municipal (laugh).

regards and happy viewing!

-CC

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Brian O wrote:
I have a JVC 27 inch tv with standard picture tube. Its about 15 yrs old
now and I like the set because it has a built in surround sound system. My
problem is that it appears that the picture tube is getting weak. When I
turn it on, it is very bright, like the contrast is turned way up, but as
time goes on, the picture come closer to normal, but it appears the colors
are out of alignment as well. What I'm wondering is, is it cost effective
to replace the tube? If its not more than a couple of hundred dollars, I
think it might be. Any tv techs out there know what a ballpark price on
something like that might be? Thanks in advance.

Tube replacement is not worth it, that doesn't sound like a tube fault
to me though. The fact that it's bright when you first turn it on sounds
like the tube is nice and strong.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

James Sweet wrote:

Tube replacement is not worth it, that doesn't sound like a tube fault
to me though. The fact that it's bright when you first turn it on sounds
like the tube is nice and strong.

Yes, I'm still puzzled at the replies discussing tube replacement, as I
dont see how it could be that.

NT