Posted to sci.electronics.repair
default default is offline

Default Replace the tube or chuck it?

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 17:22:44 -0600, "Brian O"
wrote:

I have a JVC 27 inch tv with standard picture tube. Its about 15 yrs old
now and I like the set because it has a built in surround sound system. My
problem is that it appears that the picture tube is getting weak. When I
turn it on, it is very bright, like the contrast is turned way up, but as
time goes on, the picture come closer to normal, but it appears the colors
are out of alignment as well. What I'm wondering is, is it cost effective
to replace the tube? If its not more than a couple of hundred dollars, I
think it might be. Any tv techs out there know what a ballpark price on
something like that might be? Thanks in advance.

Not necessarily a tube problem you know . . . Usually there's some
"blooming" (think that's what it is called) as the CRT gets weak -
emission dropping. Lack of contrast as the scene brightens. Colors
not right - isn't necessarily the tube either. So troubleshoot it
with an open mind - all the other components are 15 years old.

Don't they still make/sell picture tube restorers or rejuvenators?
May not be practical for one tube, but a service shop, or arcade game
repair shop may do it for you.

I worked TV repair a zillion years ago and we'd tell the customer the
bad news and give them the option - do it right there in the house if
it was a road call or on the counter if they brought it in. In theory,
some tubes die when restoring but I never saw it. I think they work
by ripping some of the coating off the cathodes exposing fresh
material.