Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Ping Arfa and others Educate Me Please

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
news

Not knowing much about rear projection TV sets (retired from that tangent
of the service industry before they were popular) but sucessfully
repairing my own Panasonic 7 yr old PT51xxxxxxx (STK's, low value
resistors), I don't understand why this set when played via the Component
input "Y/Pb/Pr" the convergence is flawless while any other source the
convergence still needs tweaking as truly it still does to the far left.

Just curious as to why this is.

Also but not pertaining to rear projection crt sets but to DLP sets, how
does the color wheel interact to the light source and the rest of the
video path? Not planning to service these, just curious again.

This might help a bit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DLP

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Charles Schuler" wrote in message
news

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
news

Not knowing much about rear projection TV sets (retired from that tangent
of the service industry before they were popular) but sucessfully
repairing my own Panasonic 7 yr old PT51xxxxxxx (STK's, low value
resistors), I don't understand why this set when played via the Component
input "Y/Pb/Pr" the convergence is flawless while any other source the
convergence still needs tweaking as truly it still does to the far left.

Just curious as to why this is.

Also but not pertaining to rear projection crt sets but to DLP sets, how
does the color wheel interact to the light source and the rest of the
video path? Not planning to service these, just curious again.

This might help a bit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DLP

Sorry, not my field of expertise really. Others on here much better
qualified to put you on the right path.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 01:24:40 +0000, Arfa Daily Has Frothed:

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
[...]

LOL the convergence question or both? Don't you find it curious that the
dynamic setup of convergence has no effect when the component input is
used?

Hi Meat

Both really. I stopped being directly involved with TV sets, other than
watching the half-arsed programmes that they put out now, some years back. I
try to keep up with the theoreticals of the latest technology, but these
days, from a practical point of view, I even get confused with SCART
hook-ups ... !!

I can't really see any reason though, why edge convergence should be any
different between sources. I could see an issue perhaps with different scan
rates, progressive or interlaced drive, or possibly even aspect ratio, but
nothing springs to mind for just plain different sources. Is it definitely a
convergence error ? Could it be a timing mis-registration between the red
and blue drives, or in the green de-matrixing ? Or even perhaps some kind of
*ring* on one or other, giving rise to a coloured shadow ? Have you tried
different source equipment into that input, or a different cable maybe ?

You're right. You've got me interested now. As I said, I'm sure others on
here who are working with this kit every day, are far better placed to give
valid input than me, so come on lads, let's have some ...

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

It's the convergence. But just on the left side and the worst on the last
6 inches of a 51 inch screen. I replaced both STK devices after one
failed.
The picture is well converged other than what I described. And it's the
same for the catv and both video inputs. But when viewing my dvd player
through the component input the convergence is perfect all over. It's as
if normal convergence is bypassed and controlled by the component input
signals but that doesn't sound right to me.

Hmmm. Me neither. Come on. There must be someone out there with a valid -
or even any kind - of opinion on or insight into this bizarre situation ...

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 22:10:28 GMT, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

It's the convergence. But just on the left side and the worst on the last
6 inches of a 51 inch screen. I replaced both STK devices after one
failed.
The picture is well converged other than what I described. And it's the
same for the catv and both video inputs. But when viewing my dvd player
through the component input the convergence is perfect all over. It's as
if normal convergence is bypassed and controlled by the component input
signals but that doesn't sound right to me.

Hmmm. Me neither. Come on. There must be someone out there with a valid -
or even any kind - of opinion on or insight into this bizarre situation ...

Arfa

Some crt projection sets had different convergence set ups for the
type of signal that is sent to them. The Pioneer Elites come to mind.
You need to get into the service menu and also having the service
manual for your set would be very helpful. Chuck

ping: cw Ed Ahern Woodworking 3 June 6th 06 07:08 PM
Fly by night PING PING Shopdog Woodworking 6 May 18th 06 04:08 AM
Cooker hoods - Educate me please? Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) UK diy 7 March 3rd 06 09:46 AM
Ping BB Cliff Metalworking 0 February 21st 06 04:08 AM
NT PING John Moorhead Woodworking 2 March 22nd 05 02:18 AM