Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Reforming the dome over a speaker cone?

Any car panel-beaters on board.
You know thew ones. A large angular dent in a car body panel and you hand
over some cash and they say turn round a second/ walk round the block. Then
they kick the panel, but they know exactly which spot to kick.
Working speaker but the large perforation-type front grill kicked in or
dropped so it touched the cosmetic dome at the centre of the cone leaving a
number of depressions.
I tried heating with a hot air gun to maybe soften and sucking with a vacuum
cleaner hose - no good.
Tried some dabs of hot-melt in the dents, alowing to cool and pulling in
conjunction with 1 pound weight in some undeformed areas re-created the dome
and then lightly heated with hot air to remove the glue - but didn't cleanly
release and had to dust with toner powder to matt it out - but otherwise a
re-formed dome. Anyone been here before with better ideas. ?
Weights and vacuum cleaner ?

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

N Cook wrote:

[...]

Leaving it alone usually works well enough. Pressing the cone right
back should ensure its up enough not to foul the pole piece. Doesnt
look so hot at sale time, but as you say they can be difficult to get
out.

NT

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

N Cook wrote:
[...]

carefully cut out dust cover (the dome).discard. glue on new dust cover.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

. ..

"TimPerry" wrote in message
N Cook wrote:
[...]

I think it may have done , click noise , but I didn't think of getting some
clear hose and flipped back immediately to previous state on removing hose.
Next time I may try with clear tube and weights.
Later I was thinking of a funnel of about right size for the whole dome ,
and connecting to vacuum

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I have used fine needles with success.
You push the needle through the dome and pry the dent out.
Sometimes it works, but when it doesn,t work I just put on a new dust
cover.

Ray J

"TimPerry" wrote in message
N Cook wrote:
[...]

2D layout of a Dome Thomas Freedy Metalworking 1 January 20th 06 04:07 PM
GEODESIC DOME OBSERVATORY J T Woodworking 15 December 6th 05 08:52 PM
Dome bolts Barnsey UK diy 4 October 12th 05 07:56 PM
Ceiling Dome - on the cheap. G Henslee Home Repair 0 July 10th 05 05:00 PM
Where to Get IR 'Dome'? David P UK diy 8 June 15th 05 07:48 AM