Posted to sci.electronics.repair
n cook n cook is offline

Default Reforming the dome over a speaker cone?

dave nospam wrote in message
. ..
I don't know why the vacuum cleaner does not work. It has always worked

for
me in the past. Maybe you need a stronger vacuum and a better seal to the
dome.

DaveL

"TimPerry" wrote in message
N Cook wrote:
Any car panel-beaters on board.
You know thew ones. A large angular dent in a car body panel and you
hand over some cash and they say turn round a second/ walk round the
block. Then they kick the panel, but they know exactly which spot to
kick.
Working speaker but the large perforation-type front grill kicked in
or dropped so it touched the cosmetic dome at the centre of the cone
leaving a number of depressions.
I tried heating with a hot air gun to maybe soften and sucking with a
vacuum cleaner hose - no good.
Tried some dabs of hot-melt in the dents, alowing to cool and pulling
in conjunction with 1 pound weight in some undeformed areas
re-created the dome and then lightly heated with hot air to remove
the glue - but didn't cleanly release and had to dust with toner
powder to matt it out - but otherwise a re-formed dome. Anyone been
here before with better ideas. ?
Weights and vacuum cleaner ?

carefully cut out dust cover (the dome).discard. glue on new dust cover.

I think it may have done , click noise , but I didn't think of getting some
clear hose and flipped back immediately to previous state on removing hose.
Next time I may try with clear tube and weights.
Later I was thinking of a funnel of about right size for the whole dome ,
and connecting to vacuum

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England