Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Completely dead laptop, any ideas?

Hello!

A friend asked me to look at his laptop (I have 15+ experience in
assembling computers and home made repairs - but mostly desktops).
The laptop died during a night, it was ok in the evening and completely
dead the next morning. It's 15 months old HP Pavilion.
There was no power outage or thunderstorm that night.

Now the computer shows absolutely no symptoms of life. When I plug it
in nothing is happening, nothing on the screen, no humming, no
electronics or even a single led goes on. Nothing! I checked the power
supplier, used a spare one, on battery - still the same, dead.
Then I removed the battery, hdd, CD drive, both memory sticks and then
plugged it in - still no progress.

I haven't gotten further/deeper to the inside yet (my friend is still
considering going with HP service) so I'd like to ask you what other
diagnostic test I could use. Any ideas? Looks like it may be a power
related issue, but to confirm that I would have to remove the cover.

Could it be a dead LCD screen? But wouldn't all power functions
(battery charging, etc) work normally then?

I'd appreciate all hints you might have.

Thanks,
L.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Luke" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Yes, all other functions would still be present if only the LCD would be
broken.

Next suspect would be a dry joint around the power jack or open surface
mounted fuse.
One might also try to change the backup button cell battery.

JMK

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jack wrote:

Next suspect would be a dry joint around the power jack or open surface
mounted fuse.

That's what I thought of too. Hopefully I'll be able/allowed to get
inside and check that.

One might also try to change the backup button cell battery.

"backup button cell battery" - never heard of anything like that! Could
you briefly clarify please?

Thanks,

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Luke" wrote in message
ups.com...
Jack wrote:

"backup button cell battery" - never heard of anything like that! Could
you briefly clarify please?

Thanks,

There's a battery, roughly the size of a dime or smaller, on the MB which
retains CMOS settings, etc. when power is off (pre-flash RAM days).

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Dave wrote:

There's a battery, roughly the size of a dime or smaller, on the MB which
retains CMOS settings, etc. when power is off (pre-flash RAM days).

Like in a desktop box Ok, that's clear now, thanks.

L.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In message , dave
writes
No. The cmos battery will not prevent it from showing any display.
Look elsewhere.

DaveL

Not always true, especially with Compaq/HP sourced machines.
--
Clint Sharp
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Luke wrote:
[...]

A fixed one for a cousin, it had a dead SO-8 FET near the input power
jack. 5 minutes to find the fault 2 days to find a locally available FET.

Andrew

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Sam Goldwasser wrote:
First thing is to confirm he doesn't have an extended warranty! People often
forget what they buy!

Nope, no extended warranty. Investigation is still underway!

L.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Luke wrote:
[...]

Check the fuse at the dc jack it is a sefice mounted fuse usually white
in color