Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Forced air heater and central air

My question has to do with the on/off switch to the whole system. Can
you repair the switch yourself if it is not working, by buying a new
switch and replacing it. Or do I need to have an electrician since it
is a major applicance?

When I opened up where the switch is located it made a spark and then
nothing else happend, did the switch burn out?

Please help!

Thank You.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...

My question has to do with the on/off switch to the whole system. Can
you repair the switch yourself if it is not working, by buying a new
switch and replacing it. Or do I need to have an electrician since it
is a major applicance?

Gas, electric, heat pump?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

if you do not know how to replace a standard wall switch, CALL A QUALIFED
SERVICEMAN!

else,

if it is the main emergency on/off switch (usually in a red box covered
plate), then

FIRST, find the main circuit breaker for the furnace/heater at the mains
box, shut that circuit OFF

then replace the emegency switch with an exact replacement, consult with
hardware store guys abt this.

LAST, evacuate your home of alll valued possessions and living creatures,
then turn the circuit back on.

next, test the new switch, if system remains non-functional, CALL A QUALIFED
SERVICEMAN!

if you dont know what you are doing, CALL A QUALIFED SERVICEMAN! it is
cheaper than explaining to the judge how you blew your house and
neighborhood up.

wrote in message
oups.com...
My question has to do with the on/off switch to the whole system. Can
you repair the switch yourself if it is not working, by buying a new
switch and replacing it. Or do I need to have an electrician since it
is a major applicance?

When I opened up where the switch is located it made a spark and then
nothing else happend, did the switch burn out?

Please help!

Thank You.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Hi!

My question has to do with the on/off switch to the whole system. Can
you repair the switch yourself if it is not working, by buying a new
switch and replacing it. Or do I need to have an electrician since it
is a major applicance?

Most of these systems are pretty straightforward in operation. It would help
to know what you have...brand, type, model, etc.

Also, where is this switch? Is it on the thermostat or somewhere else? I've
seen furnaces that had a light switch wired inline on the AC supply in order
to facilitate turning the furnace on or off.

Be sure to be careful! Turn the power, gas and anything else supplying your
furnace off before you work on it. If you don't think you can work on it
safely, call someone to do the work for you.

William

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...

how on earth is replacing a switch going to blow the neighbourhood up?
If you've found some clever way, you best go into hiding before the
terrorists find out.

You don't know how clever some people can be!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
t...

if you do not know how to replace a standard wall switch, CALL A QUALIFED
SERVICEMAN!

news:alt.binaries.e-book.technical ASST NEW MTLS B 22 NOV 2006 --- "The
Complete Idiots Guide to Electrical Repair - T. Meany (Alpha, 2000) WW.pdf"