Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Tape path height alignment on Philips VR 232 / 12

Hi!

Does anyone here know how to adjust height of the tape (the tilted
guide posts) in Philips TurboDrive VR 232 / 13 ? There seem not to be
any screws or nuts on those guide posts, they can even be easily
detached as they're attached by plastic detachable parts. But I don't
find a way to do the adjustment

--
Top-posting not supported.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Simoc wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi!

Does anyone here know how to adjust height of the tape (the tilted
guide posts) in Philips TurboDrive VR 232 / 13 ? There seem not to be
any screws or nuts on those guide posts, they can even be easily
detached as they're attached by plastic detachable parts. But I don't
find a way to do the adjustment

--
Top-posting not supported.

Why would you want to adjust the angled tape guides?
If they don't slide and lock into the V end stops then a problem with the
linkages/tensioner.
The repair manual for the 232/13 has the details for other tape guide
adjustments.
NB. If you should go into the test modes then one of the settings is for
erasing the contents of the EEprom

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

N Cook wrote:

Why would you want to adjust the angled tape guides?
If they don't slide and lock into the V end stops then a problem with the
linkages/tensioner.

They're against V-stoppers, but the tape path seems to be misaligned. I
must admit that I'm still not very familiar with VCR mechanics, but
I've read about VCR repair from repairfaq.org, and according to it, the
height adjustment is done by the angled guides, isn't it?

The repair manual for the 232/13 has the details for other tape guide
adjustments.

Of course, but I probably can't get it without paying, can I?

--
Top-posting not supported.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Simoc wrote:
N Cook wrote:

Why would you want to adjust the angled tape guides?
If they don't slide and lock into the V end stops then a problem
with the linkages/tensioner.

They're against V-stoppers, but the tape path seems to be misaligned.
I must admit that I'm still not very familiar with VCR mechanics, but
I've read about VCR repair from repairfaq.org, and according to it,
the height adjustment is done by the angled guides, isn't it?

The repair manual for the 232/13 has the details for other tape guide
adjustments.

Of course, but I probably can't get it without paying, can I?

First of all, what problem are you having? If the playback picture is
jittery or rolling, alignment might help. Severe misalignment would show a
number of horizontal bars of snow.

The slanted posts are not adjusted, the height of the rollers is. A slotted
flat blade screwdriver is usually required. Older models have set screws
which must be loosened somewhat for the adjustment, then re-tightened. Newer
ones generally just have some tension built-in so that the post does not
rotate easily on it's own.

It's best by far to use an oscilloscope to make the adjustments, but I'm
assuming you don't have one...

You could try using a known good tape, then adjusting the entrance roller a
bit each way, and try to center it in the area of most stable playback. Same
eith the exit roller.

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Mark D. Zacharias wrote:

First of all, what problem are you having? If the playback picture is
jittery or rolling, alignment might help. Severe misalignment would show a
number of horizontal bars of snow.

Yes, there are horizontal noise bars.

The slanted posts are not adjusted, the height of the rollers is.

Really? I've understood that the tape should go the correct path
without much support of the roller guides. Am I wrong? So is it only
the height of those roller guides that affects to the height of the
tape path?

A slotted
flat blade screwdriver is usually required.

Yes, there are screws that can be rotated with a slotted flat blade
screwdriver.

Older models have set screws
which must be loosened somewhat for the adjustment, then re-tightened. Newer
ones generally just have some tension built-in so that the post does not
rotate easily on it's own.

So are those small screws in older models just for locking the height
of roller guides?

Thanks a lot for your info :-)

--
Top-posting not supported.