Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default emerson vcr problem

I was recording a show this morning when the vcr turned itself off. Now
whenever I try to turn it on, or actually push any button on the remote or
the vcr itself, the power button flashes and nothing else happens. I know
it is an old vcr and will be happy to put it to rest, but I would like to at
least get the tape in it, out of it.

Anyone know if the machine is shot, and if there is a way to get the tape
out of it if it won't let me eject it?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Chris B:
More than likely the machine is NOT shot. It is possible that there is a
rather simple failure or even a faulty tape or cassette that is causing the
malfunction. If you don't know what your are doing and try to force it
out you will not only ruin your VCR but also damage your tape. You should
take your VCR to a service shop..... usually they will remove a stuck tape
and evaluate the VCR for a reduced price.... my shop does.
If you can spend a little search time you should go to the website for this
newsgroup at
http://www.repairfaq.com/
There you will find a wealth of information that may be helpful to you.
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie
Electronics Supply & Repair
- - - - - - - - - - -

"Chris B" wrote in message
I was recording a show this morning when the vcr turned itself off. Now
whenever I try to turn it on, or actually push any button on the remote or
the vcr itself, the power button flashes and nothing else happens. I know
it is an old vcr and will be happy to put it to rest, but I would like to

at
least get the tape in it, out of it.

Anyone know if the machine is shot, and if there is a way to get the tape
out of it if it won't let me eject it?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

All Emerson VCRs are crap, except for the WVM968 which gave me many
years of good service. Still works..
Dissassemble yours; don't be gentle about it, and manually remove the
tape. It may be wrapped around the head still, so be careful here if the
tape is valuable to you. You can rotate the drive components by hand to
unload the mechanism.
JR

Chris B wrote:

I was recording a show this morning when the vcr turned itself off. Now
whenever I try to turn it on, or actually push any button on the remote or
the vcr itself, the power button flashes and nothing else happens. I know
it is an old vcr and will be happy to put it to rest, but I would like to at
least get the tape in it, out of it.

Anyone know if the machine is shot, and if there is a way to get the tape
out of it if it won't let me eject it?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

Chris B ha escrito:

I was recording a show this morning when the vcr turned itself off. Now
whenever I try to turn it on, or actually push any button on the remote or
the vcr itself, the power button flashes and nothing else happens. I know
it is an old vcr and will be happy to put it to rest, but I would like to at
least get the tape in it, out of it.

Anyone know if the machine is shot, and if there is a way to get the tape
out of it if it won't let me eject it?

sounds like a belt may have periished or the tape has tangled round the
capstan. do you hear a whirring sound when you try to turn it on? if
so, probably the former.
open the cabinet and check the situation. on older units you access
the belts by opening the bottom panel. hopefully just needs a new belt.
you cna manually rotate the main drive to spool the tape.

-ben.