Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

Default slug-tuned coils or substitutes?

I am trying to get some slug-tuned coils. I tried 4 different
electronics stores and searched online. So far I can't find them. I
found a few online, but not at the right uH value. I need them to make
a notch filter to block out a radio station (or summat) that is
interfering with channel 2 and 4 on my TV. The schematics and complete
info are on this page:

http://www.dewtronics.com/tutorials/...ter/df222.html

The last resort would be to buy an kit online for the notch filter, but
it has lots of extra parts to make versions that I don't need. The
coils I need a

3.5 turn slug-tuned coil with aluminum core - 0.16 to 0.24 uH
5.5 turn slug-tuned coil with aluminum core - 0.06 to 0.09 uH

I can't even seem to find very many inductors of any kind that are
under 1 uH in value.
Anybody know where I can get these slug-tuned coils or what
substitution I can make? I need to be able to vary the inductance so I
can tune it to the right frequency to block out from my TV signal.
Right now I don't know exactly what exact frequency it is, just that
it's between 55 mhz and 72 mhz.

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

I forgot to mention I'm in Los Angeles county.
So if you know a store I can get these at, that would be great.
I've already tried All Electronics, Apex, and Radio Shack.
I also went to where Panorama Electronics used to be, but they're out
of business.

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

Have a look at:

www.coilqcorp.com

John

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

wrote:
[...]

Toko makes that type of coil - S18 series, IIRC.

Leon

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design
L. L. is offline

"Leon" wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:
[...]

Not being completely familiar with your situation (haven't read any replies
either) - am just asking - might you consider (or have you) - a coax stub
tuned filter? Put an appropriate "T" connector on the back of your set -
place your actual TV antenna coax or whatever you're using on one side and a
length of coax or equivalent of what you're using on the other side and cut
it (the side NOT connected to your antenna) til it cuts out the
interference. I had problems with a 2 way radio set up once and ended up
doing that - took some cutting til I got to the right length, but BINGO - no
more problem. I'm not sure if this would work in your situation - the system
was more for 2 way radio issues - but easy enough to try without "hunting"
for parts. Maybe it will work! I read about these in books, I've used one
myself as I said. But oddly, I hardly ever hear of others using them.

There is a length you will have to start at - but I don't have the paperwork
I had - in front of me to figure out the starting length. Maybe someone else
here can toss in the frequency or formula. I've not used it in quite some
time and it's TOO early in the AM for me to think. It seems to me (but don't
quote me), it was a 1/4 wave of the frequency you're "correctly" receiving -
not the "interference".

If the station is nearby - maybe the "engineer" can be of help. Usually -
they are. If it is "cable" TV you have - maybe contact the Cable TV
company - you "could" have leakage on your line.

Hope this might help - sure less aggrivating than trying to run down parts!

L.

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

wrote in message
ups.com...
I am trying to get some slug-tuned coils. I tried 4 different
electronics stores and searched online. So far I can't find them. I
found a few online, but not at the right uH value. I need them to make
a notch filter to block out a radio station (or summat) that is
interfering with channel 2 and 4 on my TV. The schematics and complete
info are on this page:

http://www.dewtronics.com/tutorials/...ter/df222.html

With inductors this size, you can hand wind the inductors around a pencil or
something of similar size and then spread or compress them after they have
been soldered into some kind of board. The inductors in MOST commercial
filters and tuners are made that way without coil forms.

David

Refrigerator Coils Kate Home Repair 2 August 9th 06 04:07 PM
9.6 kW garage heater question -- coils too hot? Don Foreman Metalworking 0 January 18th 06 08:06 AM
9.6 kW garage heater question -- coils too hot? RoyJ Metalworking 1 January 17th 06 03:55 PM
9.6 kW garage heater question -- coils too hot? JR North Metalworking 0 January 17th 06 05:34 AM
9.6 kW garage heater question -- coils too hot? Greg O Metalworking 0 January 17th 06 04:47 AM