Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

Default 9.6 kW garage heater question -- coils too hot?

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 04:29:10 GMT, Ignoramus7637
wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Garage-Heater/

I am making this garage heater so that working in my garage is less
painful in winter. It has a 9.6 kW heating element. I made some
photos, some with flash and some (out of focus) without flash. The
ones without flash make condition of coils a little more visible.

The heater is not done yet, it needs a few extras, although it is
working. The case that it is in is a case from an old "die attachment
evaluator".

My question is, are the coils too hot or not. Any ideas?

Look at the fan on a 30,000 BTU/hr heater. Now look at your muffin
fan. Then look at the squirrelcage blower in a typical residental
80,000 BTU/hr FA gas furnace. Look again at your muffin fan.

The coils are not running too hot for survival; electric radiant
heaters glow similarly, as do the coils or strips in a toaster.
But if your objective is to heat a volume of air in a space, then you
need to move some significant portion of the air in that space thru
the coils in a reasonable length of time, and you need some air
velocity over the coils and ductwork to do it.

Hydronic Unit heater motor question. Mark Home Repair 11 January 18th 11 05:39 PM
Water Heater Question Brett Miller Home Repair 6 May 2nd 05 07:58 AM
Garage heater - kerosene vs propane JC Home Repair 8 December 23rd 04 02:55 AM
Choice of garage heater PoP UK diy 3 November 26th 03 11:18 PM
Cost to install gas hot water heater Walleye Home Ownership 8 September 10th 03 03:20 AM