Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

Default 9.6 kW garage heater question -- coils too hot?

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 04:29:10 GMT, Ignoramus7637
wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Garage-Heater/

I am making this garage heater so that working in my garage is less
painful in winter. It has a 9.6 kW heating element. I made some
photos, some with flash and some (out of focus) without flash. The
ones without flash make condition of coils a little more visible.

The heater is not done yet, it needs a few extras, although it is
working. The case that it is in is a case from an old "die attachment
evaluator".

My question is, are the coils too hot or not. Any ideas?

Look at the fan on a 30,000 BTU/hr heater. Now look at your muffin
fan. Then look at the squirrelcage blower in a typical residental
80,000 BTU/hr FA gas furnace. Look again at your muffin fan.

The coils are not running too hot for survival; electric radiant
heaters glow similarly, as do the coils or strips in a toaster.
But if your objective is to heat a volume of air in a space, then you
need to move some significant portion of the air in that space thru
the coils in a reasonable length of time, and you need some air
velocity over the coils and ductwork to do it.