Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Galvanized steel as a conductor

Galvanized steel as a conductor.

I don't know the name of what I have. It's steel, galvanized I think,
a half inch wide, 1/16 inch thick and was about 3 feet long when I
bought it. Now I would like to cut 2 one-inch pieces, drill holes in
each end, and use screws and nuts to attach my new motorcycle battery
to one end and the battery "cables" to the other end of each piece.

Is there a problem because it is galvanized? Should I remove the
coating with a wire wheel on a bench grinder, or with a grind stone,
or is it ok?

I can't get an exact duplicate battery for my new 1969 Honda
motorcylce and the old one had its battery posts about a half-inch
outside the perimeter of the battery.

Remove NOPSAM to email me..
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

mm wrote:
Galvanized steel as a conductor.

I don't know the name of what I have. It's steel, galvanized I think,
a half inch wide, 1/16 inch thick and was about 3 feet long when I
bought it. Now I would like to cut 2 one-inch pieces, drill holes in
each end, and use screws and nuts to attach my new motorcycle battery
to one end and the battery "cables" to the other end of each piece.

Is there a problem because it is galvanized? Should I remove the
coating with a wire wheel on a bench grinder, or with a grind stone,
or is it ok?

I can't get an exact duplicate battery for my new 1969 Honda
motorcylce and the old one had its battery posts about a half-inch
outside the perimeter of the battery.

Remove NOPSAM to email me..

Nahh!! not good. It would corrode so easily and not be an effective
conductor.
Use some copper strip of the same dimensions or more better a decent heavy
cable and a lug for the battery end going into a small terminal block. If
you go for the copper strip paint the non connecting parts and grease the
copper connecting parts.

Cheers ......... Rheilly P

Where theres a will, I want to be in it.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

mm wrote:

Galvanized steel as a conductor.

I don't know the name of what I have. It's steel, galvanized I think,
a half inch wide, 1/16 inch thick and was about 3 feet long when I
bought it. Now I would like to cut 2 one-inch pieces, drill holes in
each end, and use screws and nuts to attach my new motorcycle battery
to one end and the battery "cables" to the other end of each piece.

steel is many times the R of copper, high current apps like this its
quite unsuitable for. Get a copper slate tingle and use that.

NT

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

mm wrote:

Galvanized steel as a conductor.

I don't know the name of what I have. It's steel, galvanized I think,
a half inch wide, 1/16 inch thick and was about 3 feet long when I
bought it. Now I would like to cut 2 one-inch pieces, drill holes in
each end, and use screws and nuts to attach my new motorcycle battery
to one end and the battery "cables" to the other end of each piece.

Is there a problem because it is galvanized? Should I remove the
coating with a wire wheel on a bench grinder, or with a grind stone,
or is it ok?

I can't get an exact duplicate battery for my new 1969 Honda
motorcylce and the old one had its battery posts about a half-inch
outside the perimeter of the battery.

Remove NOPSAM to email me..

Sounds like its made to use in the ends of 3' high chain link
fencing. It goes though the raw end, and is held to the corner (or
gate) post with two or three clamps.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 22:37:30 GMT, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

mm wrote:

[...]

You're right! Hadn't remembered that. Although this is smaller than
what I usualliy see.

Thanks Rheilly, Meow, and Michael. I'll switch to comppoer or
aluminum. (I'm having trouble finding my piece of copper, if I have
one.)

Remove NOPSAM to email me..

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
mm wrote:

[...]

lead is the most usual candidate. Dont think I;ve ever seen ali for
such an app, and would not recomend it.

NT