Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Kenwood stereo tape deck playback problems

Hello,

Don't laugh but a Kenwood tape deck that I have (model KX-3510) sounds
like it is possessed. The tape does not play correctly. It almost
sounds like it is skipping. I thought at first that it was playing
backwards, but it is definitely playing forwards. I tried several
tapes: same result. What could it be?

Mike McWhinney

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,

Don't laugh but a Kenwood tape deck that I have (model KX-3510) sounds
like it is possessed. The tape does not play correctly. It almost
sounds like it is skipping. I thought at first that it was playing
backwards, but it is definitely playing forwards. I tried several
tapes: same result. What could it be?

Mike McWhinney

Erratic transport speed ? Pinch roller not engaging properly ? Not enough
info really to offer an informed opinion ...

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,

Don't laugh but a Kenwood tape deck that I have (model KX-3510) sounds
like it is possessed. The tape does not play correctly. It almost
sounds like it is skipping. I thought at first that it was playing
backwards, but it is definitely playing forwards. I tried several
tapes: same result. What could it be?

Mike McWhinney

Check the pads on the cassettes that holds the tape to the head. I had a
bunch of them come off around the same time on the same brand tapes. Other
brands weren't too far off from this age either.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I will have another look at this tonight. I will look at the pinch
roller as well as the overall tape path. It is a shame that this
happened as it was working great in the past. I have not used the tape
deck in quite a while. It almost sounds like something in the audio
decoder (if there is such a device in this old of a unit) has gone
kaput, or perhaps a transistor or other active device.

Arfa Daily wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,

Don't laugh but a Kenwood tape deck that I have (model KX-3510) sounds
like it is possessed. The tape does not play correctly. It almost
sounds like it is skipping. I thought at first that it was playing
backwards, but it is definitely playing forwards. I tried several
tapes: same result. What could it be?

Mike McWhinney

Erratic transport speed ? Pinch roller not engaging properly ? Not enough
info really to offer an informed opinion ...

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

T Shadow wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

Don't laugh but a Kenwood tape deck that I have (model KX-3510) sounds
like it is possessed. The tape does not play correctly. It almost
sounds like it is skipping.

Check the pads on the cassettes that holds the tape to the head. I had a
bunch of them come off around the same time on the same brand tapes. Other
brands weren't too far off from this age either.

Yep, might be the pads. Had similar symptoms a while back when I was
trying to archive some 8-TRACK tapes to CD. First and biggest problem
was finding an 8-track player. Took several months of haunting the
local thrift stores, finally found one that worked perfectly. Of
course, the first 8-track tape I put in there, sounded like the OP
described. Popped the tape out, looked it over, and discovered that the
40 year old foam pressure pads had literally disintegrated, turned to
dust. Had to resurrect the pads on every tape I tried.

Funny thing, after copying the tapes, I re-donated the 8-track player
to Goodwill. 20-ish year old kid at the drive-up. Wanted to know what
the heck that was. Telling him it was an 8-track player made him none
the wiser. Told him they were in a lot of cars in the 60's, don't think
he believed me.

Jerry