Simon

Default Sony TV stereo / mono fluctuation problems

Hello

I am having sound problems with my Sony TV (model KV-X2582U).
Admittedly it's about 8 years old now but the problem has only
occurred relatively recently. In stereo mode, the sound keeps flicking
between stereo and mono, and while I can change it to mono in the
sound adjustment menu, if I change channels or switch the TV off, it
goes back to stereo mode. The problem occurs regardless of what
channel I'm watching.

What I need to know is: is this a problem with my TV, or the aerial? I
am thinking about getting a digital box - will this solve the problem?

Or, (more drastically), is there any way of permanently setting the
sound to mono?

Thanks
Nigel

Assuming that there's no actual fault, NICAM stereo sound usually drops out
due to either signal strength, or something affecting the signal going into
the TV - for example if the TV is fed by a video recorder.

Is it connected to a video, if so how, and have you tried bypassing any
other equipment and connecting directly to the aerial socket ?

If the set has teletext, is your teletext reception normal, or are you
getting dropouts or random characters on screen ?

Does your sound problem apply equally on all channels, and does it only
occur on TV channels, or also via the SCART connector ?

"Simon" wrote in message
om...
Hello

I am having sound problems with my Sony TV (model KV-X2582U).
Admittedly it's about 8 years old now but the problem has only
occurred relatively recently. In stereo mode, the sound keeps flicking
between stereo and mono, and while I can change it to mono in the
sound adjustment menu, if I change channels or switch the TV off, it
goes back to stereo mode. The problem occurs regardless of what
channel I'm watching.

What I need to know is: is this a problem with my TV, or the aerial? I
am thinking about getting a digital box - will this solve the problem?

Or, (more drastically), is there any way of permanently setting the
sound to mono?

Thanks

Jerry G.

You must first make sure that this is not a reception problem. If it is
not a reception problem, the fault may be with the MTS decoder module in
the set. Depending on the model of Sony, this can be a small LSI
daughter board that must be changed. It is also possible that a sound IF
problem can cause this type of fault as well.

Check the reception before giving the set for service.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com
Instruments http://www.zoom-one.com/glgtech.htm
"Simon" wrote in message
om...
Hello

I am having sound problems with my Sony TV (model KV-X2582U).
Admittedly it's about 8 years old now but the problem has only
occurred relatively recently. In stereo mode, the sound keeps flicking
between stereo and mono, and while I can change it to mono in the
sound adjustment menu, if I change channels or switch the TV off, it
goes back to stereo mode. The problem occurs regardless of what
channel I'm watching.

What I need to know is: is this a problem with my TV, or the aerial? I
am thinking about getting a digital box - will this solve the problem?

Or, (more drastically), is there any way of permanently setting the
sound to mono?

Thanks

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Nigel wrote:
Assuming that there's no actual fault, NICAM stereo sound usually drops
out due to either signal strength, or something affecting the signal
going into the TV - for example if the TV is fed by a video recorder.

Dunno the Sony, but on most sets the NICAM is very robust - you'd get
picture problems long before the sound breaks up.

--
*Geeks shall inherit the earth *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Simon

Sorry for the delay in replying - I have had some useful suggestions
from Jerry, further to my initial post.

My TV is tuned through my VCR (aerial only - no SCART). I tried
connecting the TV direct to the external aerial, but the problem is
still there.

The set has teletext, and random characters do appear at times
(although I can't say for sure whether this is at the same time as the
sound fluctuations).

The fluctuation occurs particularly during humid weather (i.e. most of
this summer!), and only when I'm watching TV (not when watching videos
/ DVDs - the TV is connected to my DVD player via a SCART cable). This
has led me to think that the problem may not be with my TV, which is
why I thought about a new aerial or even getting digital.

So what I would like to know is this: would this latter option solve
the problem (assuming it wasn't a fault with the set)? There doesn't
seem to be much info on the web to do with digital improvements to
sound reception, or buying a new (digital) aerial.

Sony TV problems Iain Gordon UK diy 22 November 2nd 03 06:04 PM
Sony CDP-CX255 200 CD changer problems Zev Berkovich Electronics Repair 3 July 27th 03 02:08 AM
Sony G500 Monitor Repair bigmike Electronics Repair 0 July 23rd 03 09:01 AM
problems getting cable channels on a sony tv Sofie Electronics Repair 10 July 18th 03 03:03 AM
Sony G410R Monitor problem (and bad Sony support) Steeve M Electronics Repair 7 July 15th 03 12:24 AM