Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default DVD connected through RF modulator to TV

I have been using DVD player connected to an RF modulator to an older
(obviously!) TV. It has worked fine for at least 2 years. Cable TV is
connected to the RF modulator with no cable box needed.

Now I can only get cable TV - when I use the DVD player, I just get a
static screen on the TV. I'm certain that I have the correct channel
on (3 or 4) and have tried both.

To troubleshoot, I connected the DVD player directly to a newer TV and
it worked just fine.

I assumed the problem was with the RF modulator, so I bought a new one
but have the same problem.

Assuming it is highly unlikely that the old RF mod and the new one are
both broken, I can't guess what the issue would be. The AV cables also
obviously work since I used the same cables to connect the DVD player
to the new TV. Also the DVD player is just that, not a recorder.

I'm completely baffled and would appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you in advance,

Joe

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

birdbrain1957, how is the "cable TV" connected to the RF modulator?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Cable TV is just regular coax, connected to the RF In. No cable box.

wrote:
birdbrain1957, how is the "cable TV" connected to the RF modulator?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article .com,
Beloved Leader wrote:
Do you have a VCR available? Is it possible for you to connect the DVD
player's output cables to the input jacks of a VCR? Then you can set
the VCR's output on channel 3 or 4, whatever, to see if you can view
DVDs on your old TV set.

Many VCRs won't accept a line input from a DVD - the DVD's syncs are such
as to confuse the VCR's AGC to prevent copying.

--
*I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Dave Plowman " ) writes:
In article .com,
Beloved Leader wrote:
Do you have a VCR available? Is it possible for you to connect the DVD
player's output cables to the input jacks of a VCR? Then you can set
the VCR's output on channel 3 or 4, whatever, to see if you can view
DVDs on your old TV set.

Many VCRs won't accept a line input from a DVD - the DVD's syncs are such
as to confuse the VCR's AGC to prevent copying.

I thought that was specifically Macrovision, which was intended to prevent
the taping of prerecorded material.

Whatever, it is true. I saw it happening, and it didn't give the
tearing that I expected, but a deep fade to dark over a minute or
so, which kept repeating.

Michael