Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default AVR for 3300VA generator

I am trying to repair a Honda generator mounted in a vehicle, on which
the AVR has failed, and is no longer available.
The generator is a 2 pole 3300VA 240V 50Hz machine, type Honda EV3600.

The field is slip ring connected, and is about 55 ohms when cold. 12V
DC applied to this produced 150V output, so current at no load is
probably about 350mA.

The sense feedback from the 240V gives about 20V at 240V output.

The AVR supply winding gives about 100V ac.

Does anyone know where I can get a suitable AVR, or a universal one of
a suitable rating that I can set up for this application?
I am an electrical/electronic engineer, in the UK

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article .com,
"DaveLee" wrote:

I am trying to repair a Honda generator mounted in a vehicle, on which
the AVR has failed, and is no longer available.
The generator is a 2 pole 3300VA 240V 50Hz machine, type Honda EV3600.

The field is slip ring connected, and is about 55 ohms when cold. 12V
DC applied to this produced 150V output, so current at no load is
probably about 350mA.

The sense feedback from the 240V gives about 20V at 240V output.

The AVR supply winding gives about 100V ac.

Does anyone know where I can get a suitable AVR, or a universal one of
a suitable rating that I can set up for this application?
I am an electrical/electronic engineer, in the UK

Dave-

Although I may be the "blind leading the blind", I'm faced with a possibly
related problem with a Generac 3500VA 60Hz generator. Output voltage is
slightly low (226VAC), after adjusting engine speed to 3600 RPM for 60 Hz
output. The only obvious solution would be to boost field current.

The field current is supplied by a "Power Regulator Board" that may be the
equivalent of your AVR. I can see several components that are covered by
some kind of encapsulating compound. I suspect one of the components has
shifted value. By removing the compound and measuring resistor and
capacitor values, it may be possible to find the problem. However I have
no documentation for what the values should be. I believe a replacement
module is still available, but haven't checked.

Unless you can adapt an AVR from a similar generator in current
production, you may have no choice but to repair your old one. In your
case, I would expect to find a component that has either become
disconnected, or has failed completely. I think yours would be easier to
troubleshoot than mine!

Fred
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article .com,
"DaveLee" wrote:

Does anyone know where I can get a suitable AVR, or a universal one of
a suitable rating that I can set up for this application?
I am an electrical/electronic engineer, in the UK

Dave-

You may have seen my posting about "Generator Tune-UP...". I posted a
similar message on the rec.radio.amateur.equipment newsgroup, and received
one response that may be of interest to you.

Check out http://www.smokstack.com. It has forums that include small
engines, as well as generator sets. There seems to be people there who are
quite experienced, and may have the information you need.

I don't recall seeing Honda mentioned, but there were messages about every
other generator brand I've ever heard of, including military surplus.

Fred