Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Pooh Bear

Default Sony CPD-E530 monitor contrast going

I have a CPD-E530 ( 21" flat Trinitron ) where the black has become more of a
gray and retrace lines are sometimes visible.

Does anyone know this fault / can recommend a fix ?

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dani

Have a look here, or google it. Dani.

http://www.short-media.com/forum/sho...=19549&page=16

Pooh Bear wrote:
I have a CPD-E530 ( 21" flat Trinitron ) where the black has become more of a
gray and retrace lines are sometimes visible.

Does anyone know this fault / can recommend a fix ?

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Pooh Bear

"Jerry G." wrote:

It is possible that the G2 bias to the tube is a little out of spec due
to the wearing out of the high voltage multiplier, or some components
biasing the CRT have changed specs over time, or the CRT itself is
going weak. Proper verification would have to be done to determine the
exact fault. The most common cause is the CRT becoming weak with age.

It won't be an aged CRT. This monitor was new when I bought it and has had quite
light use.

Any advice as to who to entrust it to, other than Sony ?

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
ian field

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message

"Jerry G." wrote:

It is possible that the G2 bias to the tube is a little out of spec due
to the wearing out of the high voltage multiplier, or some components
biasing the CRT have changed specs over time, or the CRT itself is
going weak. Proper verification would have to be done to determine the
exact fault. The most common cause is the CRT becoming weak with age.

It won't be an aged CRT. This monitor was new when I bought it and has had
quite
light use.

Any advice as to who to entrust it to, other than Sony ?

Graham

A decrease in the Vsupply to the video drive amplifiers can cause excessive
brightness & flyback lines - just a thought!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

ian field ha escrito:

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message

"Jerry G." wrote:

It is possible that the G2 bias to the tube is a little out of spec due
to the wearing out of the high voltage multiplier, or some components
biasing the CRT have changed specs over time, or the CRT itself is
going weak. Proper verification would have to be done to determine the
exact fault. The most common cause is the CRT becoming weak with age.

It won't be an aged CRT. This monitor was new when I bought it and has had
quite
light use.

Any advice as to who to entrust it to, other than Sony ?

Graham

A decrease in the Vsupply to the video drive amplifiers can cause excessive
brightness & flyback lines - just a thought!

you could start by changing the rgb 200v line filter cap. often on crt
neckboard or maiboard near the line output transformer. tends to be low
value such as 10uF.
-B.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
ian field

"b" wrote in message
ups.com...

ian field ha escrito:

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message

"Jerry G." wrote:

[...]

Certainly a valid suggestion, but in my experience with sony displays this
usually causes a variation in brightness across the width of the screen.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Pooh Bear

b wrote:

ian field ha escrito:

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message

"Jerry G." wrote:

[...]

Did you see my post 'problem fixed' ?

It's working ok still so far. The monitor's hugely better. I just had it @
1600x1200 for example and pin sharp but 1200x1024 looks more usable to me.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
lsmartino

Pooh Bear ha escrito:

Did you see my post 'problem fixed' ?

It's working ok still so far. The monitor's hugely better. I just had it @
1600x1200 for example and pin sharp but 1200x1024 looks more usable to me.

Graham

Please repost the fix, because the post never arrived to the forum.

Thanks.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Pooh Bear

Default Fixed - was: Sony CPD-E530 monitor contrast going

lsmartino wrote:

Pooh Bear ha escrito:

Did you see my post 'problem fixed' ?

It's working ok still so far. The monitor's hugely better. I just had it @
1600x1200 for example and pin sharp but 1200x1024 looks more usable to me.

Graham

Please repost the fix, because the post never arrived to the forum.

Thanks.

I posted it as a new thread - but here it is again.........................

Just a followup to anyone interested.

I noticed in the link provided by Dani
http://www.short-media.com/forum/sho...=19549&page=16
that there was mention of using Sony's diagnostic software to setup the monitor
( apparently there are few presets available for adjustment )

This reminded me that when I picked up a older Sony E500 monitor from a computer

brokers a while back that they had mentioned using this. So I gave them a call
and asked how they fix E530s. When I mentioned contrast, the guy said there was
an item in the standard menu. I took a look and indeed under colour settings
there's an option called 'image restoration'. I selected it and lo and behold it

started recalibrating itself ! Result one monitor better than it was when I
first got it !

So the additional 21" Sony I got on ebay as a 'safety precaution' for £35 looks

like it's going to be part of a 2 monitor display setup now ! :-)

Graham