Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Kennedy

Default Expierence with using Pen Plotter for a Vinyl cutter?

I was wondering if anybody has converted a pen plotter to a pen plotter
here? I've been thinking about getting a pen plotter for this.

- Mike

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Kennedy

LOL... oops.. I meant converted a pen plotter to a Vinyl cutter by replacing
one of the pins with a cutter.

- Mike

"Michael Kennedy" wrote in message
I was wondering if anybody has converted a pen plotter to a pen plotter
here? I've been thinking about getting a pen plotter for this.

- Mike

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Allodoxaphobia

On Wed, 31 May 2006 11:21:03 -0400, Michael Kennedy wrote:
LOL... oops.. I meant converted a pen plotter to a Vinyl cutter by replacing
one of the pins with a cutter.

- Mike

"Michael Kennedy" wrote in message
I was wondering if anybody has converted a pen plotter to a pen plotter
here? I've been thinking about getting a pen plotter for this.

- Mike

And, Google was of no help to you?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jeff Liebermann

"Michael Kennedy" hath wroth:

LOL... oops.. I meant converted a pen plotter to a Vinyl cutter by replacing
one of the pins with a cutter.

I've done it. I just crammed in a swivel knife into the pen holder
and started cutting. No big deal except for making a knife mount
adapter. The biggest headache was the paper feed. The rock hard
rollers on the plotter would either slip on the smooth vinyl or leave
tread marks when I cranked up the pressure. I finally ended up
machining a set of replacement soft rubber rollers.

The nice thing about pen plotters is that nobody wants them in these
days of large inkjet plotters. I don't have any photos as I sold the
plotters for a handsome profit. Nice project for turning junk pen
plotters that nobody wants into $$$$$.

I gave up on steel blades as I was always sharpening them. Trying to
keep the tip centered was also a challenge when sharpening. I
switched to ceramic knife blades and never sharpened again. There's
also ruby blades, but they're expensive.

Google finds several articles on converting a pen plotter into a vinyl
cutter.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Lee

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
The biggest headache was the paper feed. The rock hard
rollers on the plotter would either slip on the smooth vinyl or leave
tread marks when I cranked up the pressure. I finally ended up
machining a set of replacement soft rubber rollers.

If the rollers are rubber, clean with alcohol (NOT rubbing alcohol) and
then wipe lightly with glycerin.
They will grip like hell, but won't stick
Regards
Lee in Toronto

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Kennedy

Yes it was, but I was wanting someone elses opinion...

Thanks for a useless post..

"Allodoxaphobia" wrote in message
On Wed, 31 May 2006 11:21:03 -0400, Michael Kennedy wrote:
LOL... oops.. I meant converted a pen plotter to a Vinyl cutter by
replacing
one of the pins with a cutter.

- Mike

"Michael Kennedy" wrote in message
I was wondering if anybody has converted a pen plotter to a pen plotter
here? I've been thinking about getting a pen plotter for this.

- Mike

And, Google was of no help to you?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Kennedy

If the rollers are rubber, clean with alcohol (NOT rubbing alcohol) and
then wipe lightly with glycerin.
They will grip like hell, but won't stick
Regards
Lee in Toronto

Thanks for the tip.. That sound really usefull for more than just this
application..

- Mike

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jeff Liebermann

Lee hath wroth:

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
The biggest headache was the paper feed. The rock hard
rollers on the plotter would either slip on the smooth vinyl or leave
tread marks when I cranked up the pressure. I finally ended up
machining a set of replacement soft rubber rollers.

If the rollers are rubber, clean with alcohol (NOT rubbing alcohol) and
then wipe lightly with glycerin.
They will grip like hell, but won't stick

I also fix laser printers (as a sideline), which are full of rubber
rollers. I gave up on alcohols because they "dry" the rollers. The
glycerin is suppose to re-oil the rubber, but I find that it just sits
on the surface and doesn't last.

Instead, I use what I think is an acetone based "rubber restorer".
http://store.simplybargains.com/80008.html
One catch. I have to use it outdoors. The stuff REALLY stinks.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Lee

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
Lee hath wroth:

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
The biggest headache was the paper feed. The rock hard
rollers on the plotter would either slip on the smooth vinyl or leave
tread marks when I cranked up the pressure. I finally ended up
machining a set of replacement soft rubber rollers.

If the rollers are rubber, clean with alcohol (NOT rubbing alcohol) and
then wipe lightly with glycerin.
They will grip like hell, but won't stick

I also fix laser printers (as a sideline), which are full of rubber
rollers. I gave up on alcohols because they "dry" the rollers. The
glycerin is suppose to re-oil the rubber, but I find that it just sits
on the surface and doesn't last.

Instead, I use what I think is an acetone based "rubber restorer".
http://store.simplybargains.com/80008.html
One catch. I have to use it outdoors. The stuff REALLY stinks.

Glycerin will dry up from the heat in laser printers!
I use the rubber restorer as well and have to use in good ventilation
and with a mask because it will trigger an asthma attack, but that stuff
really works.

Regards
Lee in Toronto

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mike Berger

The good ones rotate the cutter along with the direction of the cut,
so many pen plotters can't be used for the purpose.

Michael Kennedy wrote:
LOL... oops.. I meant converted a pen plotter to a Vinyl cutter by replacing
one of the pins with a cutter.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
isw

Michael Kennedy wrote:
LOL... oops.. I meant converted a pen plotter to a Vinyl cutter by
replacing
one of the pins with a cutter.

X-Acto makes (or made) some "following cutter" blades, specifically for
cutting strippable film. I'll bet you could hack one of those to work in
a plotter.

Isaac
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
David Nebenzahl

Jeff Liebermann spake thus:

I also fix laser printers (as a sideline), which are full of rubber
rollers. I gave up on alcohols because they "dry" the rollers. The
glycerin is suppose to re-oil the rubber, but I find that it just sits
on the surface and doesn't last.

Instead, I use what I think is an acetone based "rubber restorer".
http://store.simplybargains.com/80008.html
One catch. I have to use it outdoors. The stuff REALLY stinks.

Yes; that same stuff is used by printers as "rubber rejuvenator".
Available at larger graphic-arts supply houses. And yes, it has all
kinds of nasty **** in it that you really don't want to breathe. But it
works wonders on rubber rollers and offset blankets. I used to use it to
remove caked, dried ink from rollers and make them look (and work) like new.

--
Any system of knowledge that is capable of listing films in order of
use of the word "****" is incapable of writing a good summary and analysis

- Matthew White, referring to Wikipedia on his WikiWatch site
(http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wikiwoo.htm)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mike Berger

I doubt they'd work with much precision or last long -- especially
if you cut reflective vinyl with glass or metal particles embedded.
You can sharpen most commercial blades, so the cost of the blade
doesn't have to be a serious issue.

isw wrote:

X-Acto makes (or made) some "following cutter" blades, specifically for
cutting strippable film. I'll bet you could hack one of those to work in
a plotter.

Isaac

Hardieplank versus vinyl fishman35 Home Repair 4 August 13th 06 02:55 AM
Windows [email protected] Home Repair 7 January 21st 06 01:06 PM
Are push fit plumbing fittings any good? Steve UK diy 75 September 3rd 05 01:56 PM
Vinyl siding to replace wood siding. ADD Home Repair 7 May 11th 05 02:22 PM
Cutting floor tiles: Electric or Hand Operated cutter? Serial Bodger UK diy 12 August 17th 03 02:36 PM