Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Lee

Default Expierence with using Pen Plotter for a Vinyl cutter?

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
Lee hath wroth:

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
The biggest headache was the paper feed. The rock hard
rollers on the plotter would either slip on the smooth vinyl or leave
tread marks when I cranked up the pressure. I finally ended up
machining a set of replacement soft rubber rollers.

If the rollers are rubber, clean with alcohol (NOT rubbing alcohol) and
then wipe lightly with glycerin.
They will grip like hell, but won't stick

I also fix laser printers (as a sideline), which are full of rubber
rollers. I gave up on alcohols because they "dry" the rollers. The
glycerin is suppose to re-oil the rubber, but I find that it just sits
on the surface and doesn't last.

Instead, I use what I think is an acetone based "rubber restorer".
http://store.simplybargains.com/80008.html
One catch. I have to use it outdoors. The stuff REALLY stinks.

Glycerin will dry up from the heat in laser printers!
I use the rubber restorer as well and have to use in good ventilation
and with a mask because it will trigger an asthma attack, but that stuff
really works.

Regards
Lee in Toronto