Posted to sci.electronics.repair
bigdaddy

Default How do you take out Heater Element from its sleeve.

Hi,

I have got this Weller TCP soldering iron. Its heather is burned, I
have got a new one. Problem is seems that it has stuck in its sleeve.
I have injected DWD40 in it and left it for few hours to loosen it.
But it is not budging. Any idea how to take it out.

Thanks
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
3T39

Hello, bigdaddy!
You wrote on Thu, 25 May 2006 15:08:32 GMT:

b Hi,

b I have got this Weller TCP soldering iron. Its heather is burned, I
b have got a new one. Problem is seems that it has stuck in its
b sleeve.
b I have injected DWD40 in it and left it for few hours to loosen it.
b But it is not budging. Any idea how to take it out.

b Thanks

Maybe if you put it in the freezer for an hour or so and then try, The core
will remain frozen for a short time as the outer sleeve warms up and
expands.
worth a try!

With best regards, 3T39. E-mail:

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
g. beat

"bigdaddy" wrote in message
Hi,

I have got this Weller TCP soldering iron. Its heather is burned, I
have got a new one. Problem is seems that it has stuck in its sleeve.
I have injected DWD40 in it and left it for few hours to loosen it.
But it is not budging. Any idea how to take it out.

Thanks

I would NOT recommend WD40 - is the tip also fused in this mess?
..
Is this a 4 screw "wired-in" TC-208 heater or the 2 screw "plug-in" EC234
heater?

I usually just replace the heater and also use a new barrel nut and
appropriate PT series tip (for the TCP series)

There are differences between the European and North American models (Weller
TCP series)

I would use a NEW barrel nut (BA-60) with the heater. In North America,
since production was moved to Mexico and they switched to non-lead
production - the heater tube is swaged at the end - and earlier BA-60 barrel
nut will NOT fit. You have to use a new barrel nut (that handles this
heater diameter change near end)

g. beat

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
g. beat

"bigdaddy" wrote in message
Hi,

I have got this Weller PU3D and TCP S soldering iron. Its heater is
burned, I
have got a new one. Problem is seems that it has stuck in its sleeve.
I have injected DWD40 in it and left it for few hours to loosen it.
But it is not budging. Any idea how to take it out.

Thanks

Still working on that TCP S iron?
The sleeve is removed by unscrewing the base.
IF this sleeve nut was over tightened - and the heater "ran away" before
failing -
then it may take heat to break it loose.

Magnistat switch and heater diagram on first few pages
http://www.cooperhandtools.com/germa..._Magnastat.pdf

Get out your screwdriver and CAREFULLY remove the heater from the Nylon
handle.
The Magnistat switch sits inside the assembly !! You can now install your
new heater.

This is the Cooper Tools / Weller EU web page.
http://www.cooperhandtools.com/europ...ing/WTCP51.htm

Weller North American Weller diagrams (they do differ from EU due to
manufacturing and approval regulations)
http://bama.edebris.com/manuals/weller/

g. beat

GREAT BRITAIN
Cooper Tools
Suite 15, Coniston House
Town Centre
Washington, Tyne & Wear
NE38 7RN
Tel: (0191) 419 7700
Fax: (0191) 417 9421

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
g. beat

"bigdaddy" wrote in message
Hi,

I have got this Weller TCP soldering iron. Its heather is burned, I
have got a new one. Problem is seems that it has stuck in its sleeve.
I have injected DWD40 in it and left it for few hours to loosen it.
But it is not budging. Any idea how to take it out.

Thanks

Parts diagram for Weller WTCP-S (EU version) on page 62 (of 64)
http://www.cooperhandtools.com/europ...s/OI_WTCPS.pdf

g. beat