Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Rick

Default Battery charger reccomendations?

Anyone?

I'm finding this kinda daunting when trying to search and dealing with
the specifications.

I'm looking for a charger than can handle both NiCad and NiMh from AAA
to D cells. Quantity of batteries it can handle isn't important. (I've
found some that can handle up to 20 batteries at a time!) Handling 4
would be fine, if I can figure out what makes up a decent charger. Would
this do?:

http://www.thomas-distributing.com/at-5798.htm

It's a "MINWA PROFESSIONAL SERIES MW-5798 PRO "SMART" CHARGER w/ Battery
Conditioner."

The way I understand it, it does pulse charging for NiCads - which is
supposed to be a good thing. But are 60-160 minute charge cycles hard on
the batteries, even if it is microprocessor controlled? I don't need
them that fast. This one switches to trickle charge. I thought the best
thing to do was terminate the current at the end of a charge cycle.

Basically, I'm looking for a dual NiCad/NiMh charger that can handle
NiCad charging as intelligently as possible. And doesn't cost $100.00 or
more to do it.

Any suggestions on the general specs I should be looking for, or on
specific chargers that are good?

Rick
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
TimPerry

"Rick" wrote in message ...
Anyone?

I'm finding this kinda daunting when trying to search and dealing with
the specifications.

I'm looking for a charger than can handle both NiCad and NiMh from AAA
to D cells. Quantity of batteries it can handle isn't important. (I've
found some that can handle up to 20 batteries at a time!) Handling 4
would be fine, if I can figure out what makes up a decent charger. Would
this do?:

http://www.thomas-distributing.com/at-5798.htm

It's a "MINWA PROFESSIONAL SERIES MW-5798 PRO "SMART" CHARGER w/ Battery
Conditioner."

The way I understand it, it does pulse charging for NiCads - which is
supposed to be a good thing.

a sales gimick

But are 60-160 minute charge cycles hard on
the batteries, even if it is microprocessor controlled?

if it makes the cell hot it is bad

I don't need
them that fast. This one switches to trickle charge. I thought the best
thing to do was terminate the current at the end of a charge cycle.

the idea is to get the cell to maximum capacity after the fast charge got it
most of the way.

Basically, I'm looking for a dual NiCad/NiMh charger that can handle
NiCad charging as intelligently as possible. And doesn't cost $100.00 or
more to do it.

Any suggestions on the general specs I should be looking for, or on
specific chargers that are good?

Rick

you need to look up the specs of the actual cells and batteries that you
have and find a charger(s) that meet their needs.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
DaveM

"Rick" wrote in message ...
[...]

That unit looks like a decent charger for your needs. The trickle charge is
good if you are likely to leave the cells in the charger for long periods of
time. Nicad, NiMh and Lion cells self-discharge at a fairly high rate as
compared to non-rechargeable such as alkalines. The trickle charge will keep
them close to full charge at all times, and shouldn't damage the cells at all.
I haven't read that the "pulse" charging technique is good or bad... there might
be some manufacturers that support it.. others might not.
The major limitation that I see with this unit is the number of cells it can
handle at once.

A few other chargers that you might look at:
http://www.aspencer1.com/showitem.asp?ItemID=11067.14
http://www.aspencer1.com/showitem.asp?ItemID=13310.14

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the

If a mute swears, does his mother wash his hands with soap?