Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Rick

Default Battery charger reccomendations?

Anyone?

I'm finding this kinda daunting when trying to search and dealing with
the specifications.

I'm looking for a charger than can handle both NiCad and NiMh from AAA
to D cells. Quantity of batteries it can handle isn't important. (I've
found some that can handle up to 20 batteries at a time!) Handling 4
would be fine, if I can figure out what makes up a decent charger. Would
this do?:

http://www.thomas-distributing.com/at-5798.htm

It's a "MINWA PROFESSIONAL SERIES MW-5798 PRO "SMART" CHARGER w/ Battery
Conditioner."

The way I understand it, it does pulse charging for NiCads - which is
supposed to be a good thing. But are 60-160 minute charge cycles hard on
the batteries, even if it is microprocessor controlled? I don't need
them that fast. This one switches to trickle charge. I thought the best
thing to do was terminate the current at the end of a charge cycle.

Basically, I'm looking for a dual NiCad/NiMh charger that can handle
NiCad charging as intelligently as possible. And doesn't cost $100.00 or
more to do it.

Any suggestions on the general specs I should be looking for, or on
specific chargers that are good?

Rick