Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Thomas Womack

Default What are the protocols used by LCD panels?

Nobody seems to sell small high-resolution LCD screens (by which I
mean, say, 15" and 1600x1200) commercially without a laptop wrapped
round them.

www.screentekinc.com will sell me panels, intended as replacement
parts for laptops that have been dropped and had the screen broken,
for $350; the panel has two connectors going to it, for the inverter
and for the video signal, and I get the impression that both these
connectors carry some fairly standard protocol.

Has anyone got a reference as to what the protocol is - I can't find a
data-sheet for a panel anywhere. Ideal part number would be an
LP154WU1, but if I try googling on that part number I get infinite
numbers of companies that sell replacement panels, and no datasheet.

Tom
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Searched the words lcd pinout.

http://www.woe.onlinehome.de/e_lcddata.htm

I always figued the connectors were too small for most to solder, so the
demand wasn't there... cool though.

Interesting question.

-JB

"Thomas Womack" wrote in message
news
Nobody seems to sell small high-resolution LCD screens (by which I
mean, say, 15" and 1600x1200) commercially without a laptop wrapped
round them.

www.screentekinc.com will sell me panels, intended as replacement
parts for laptops that have been dropped and had the screen broken,
for $350; the panel has two connectors going to it, for the inverter
and for the video signal, and I get the impression that both these
connectors carry some fairly standard protocol.

Has anyone got a reference as to what the protocol is - I can't find a
data-sheet for a panel anywhere. Ideal part number would be an
LP154WU1, but if I try googling on that part number I get infinite
numbers of companies that sell replacement panels, and no datasheet.

Tom

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Thomas Womack

In article ,
J nospamplease wrote:
Searched the words lcd pinout.

http://www.woe.onlinehome.de/e_lcddata.htm

I always figued the connectors were too small for most to solder, so the
demand wasn't there... cool though.

Interesting question.

Thanks for the data. I don't think this is a feasible project, if
only because I don't know where to start building a 500V 6mA 35kHz
power supply, but I'm glad that the data's out there. It looks as if
mostly they use a 'standard' 41-pin connector with eighteen bits of
data, two +5 lines, fifteen grounds, and four clocks. Generating the
clocks sounds not impossible with an FPGA, though signal integrity
will be a nightmare with FPGA development boards the shape they are.

Tom
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jumpster Jiver

I don't know where to start building a 500V 6mA 35kHz
power supply,

Just buy an iverter board.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet

Thomas Womack wrote:
In article ,
J nospamplease wrote:

Searched the words lcd pinout.

http://www.woe.onlinehome.de/e_lcddata.htm

I always figued the connectors were too small for most to solder, so the
demand wasn't there... cool though.

Interesting question.

Thanks for the data. I don't think this is a feasible project, if
only because I don't know where to start building a 500V 6mA 35kHz
power supply, but I'm glad that the data's out there. It looks as if
mostly they use a 'standard' 41-pin connector with eighteen bits of
data, two +5 lines, fifteen grounds, and four clocks. Generating the
clocks sounds not impossible with an FPGA, though signal integrity
will be a nightmare with FPGA development boards the shape they are.

Tom

Why would you want to build the inverter? You can pick them up for $5 or
so ready made.

Need your help to glue panels of 6 panel door for stain glass installation. S. Stern Woodworking 8 April 7th 06 11:36 PM
Raised panels without panel raising bits RayV Woodworking 7 March 10th 06 09:59 PM
will my panels warp? Wyatt Woodworking 4 October 31st 05 05:49 PM
Any Ideas How To Replace Rotted Wood Panels On French Doors? Ron Home Repair 5 March 20th 04 06:52 PM
Since I don't have any plans...whatsa best way to secure desk's back panel to side panels? (and other questions) Leon Woodworking 5 August 27th 03 04:08 AM