Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Kennedy

Default LCD Works then goes white..

I just got another LCD that doesn't work right..It is a Viewsonic VE500 and
I'm acutally using it to type this message, but sooner or later it will go
white. When it does you can shut it off and turn it right back on and it
will work for a short while again or sometimes a long while before going
white. Could it be capacitor related or is this more likely some sort of
logic chip. There are no artifacts on the screen when it does work, so I'm
at a bit of a loss since there is not LCD repair FAQ that I can find. I
guess that is due to these things not being designed to be fixed.

- Mike

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jerry G.

I found in most of these displays the problems were from caps going
high in ESR. They sometimes become thermo sensitive.

Take care that the manufactures normaly service these with board
swapping only. They will not sell or distribute parts or service
information to non factory authorised service people.

Jerry G.
======

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Kennedy

This is exactly why I've been meaning to invest in an ESR meter.. I just
don't have the $50-$100 to spend on one.. College = being broke. ;-)

- Mike

"Jerry G." wrote in message
oups.com...
I found in most of these displays the problems were from caps going
high in ESR. They sometimes become thermo sensitive.

Take care that the manufactures normaly service these with board
swapping only. They will not sell or distribute parts or service
information to non factory authorised service people.

Jerry G.
======

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jerry G.

If you intend to do any type of electronics servicing, you will have to
get some tools to do the job. You need a good DVM, and ESR meter, and a
scope to start with. These are the most basic, other than the necessary
hand tools and soldering tools.

With your investment, if you are very good at it, you can take on doing
basic service jobs for other people and students. With today's modern
devices you will be restricted compared to a number of years ago, but
for basic repairs, and if the fault requires generic parts, you should
be able to make out okay.

Jerry G.
======

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
bloggybob

the Viewsonic VE500 is well known for bad caps ... but you do need an esr
meter to check them as ive seen different ones go bad in these .. so to
recommend to you which ones to replace , id have to say damn near all of
them without you using a meter ! .. get a meter or shelf it until you can
afford one

cheers

"Michael Kennedy" wrote in message
I just got another LCD that doesn't work right..It is a Viewsonic VE500

and
I'm acutally using it to type this message, but sooner or later it will go
white. When it does you can shut it off and turn it right back on and it
will work for a short while again or sometimes a long while before going
white. Could it be capacitor related or is this more likely some sort of
logic chip. There are no artifacts on the screen when it does work, so I'm
at a bit of a loss since there is not LCD repair FAQ that I can find. I
guess that is due to these things not being designed to be fixed.

- Mike

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Kennedy

the Viewsonic VE500 is well known for bad caps ... but you do need an esr
meter to check them as ive seen different ones go bad in these .. so to
recommend to you which ones to replace , id have to say damn near all of
them without you using a meter ! .. get a meter or shelf it until you can
afford one

Well I've cheated untill I can buy an ESR meter or order all new caps..

Somehow moving and applying pressure to the electrolytics has made them
work again.. I once pulled the can off one side of an electrolytic cap and
put it back on and it still worked!? So I figured what the heck, maybe
moving these around might help and apparently it did.

-Mike