Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JR North

Default SONY EV-S550 8mm VCR Tuner Fault

Picked this up about 6 months ago to transfer my 8MM tapes to DVD. Not
sure now if I tried out the tuner with cable input or not...
Anyway, passthrough is OK, but when set to VCR, the audio is stripped,
and the picture does the following on any channel:
-breaks up and rolls every 1 sec, for about 1 sec. then stabilizes and
the channel locks in. Picture is perfect-still no audio
This repeats rhythmically every 1- 1.5 seconds
The VCR is set to CATV and the channels programmed properly. I have
swapped cables- no change
The VCR section and VCR output is perfect.
I have the user manual- and tried all the switch adjustments-
Did the tuner take a dump?
TIA
JR