Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Delco radio......I give up

Just when you think you've heard everything - I've been looking for some
real basic connector pinout info for a Delco AM/FM receiver that was in
a John Deere bulldozer........posted a rq on here with no
help...searched way too long via Google and tried to determine some
basic pinout info by studying the mainboard inside (sort of stuff I've
done successfully for about 30 years or so) - first time that a basic
receiver made so little sense. Figured I'd contact Delco (i.e. Delphi
via their entertainment info contact link). This was their reply verbatim:

Dear Sir,
It sounds like your Delco radio is a factory installed AM/FM. These
radios are built annd are the sole property of the vehicle manufacturer who
installed it. All information and wiring diagrams for this product must come
from the vehicle OE manufacturer.
Thank you for contacting Delphi-iss

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
tiffer

How many connections? There shouldn't be more than ground, power and
speaker. Have you determined which is ground with an ohm meter?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JR North

Car AM/FM radios are so cheap, unless this one has some sentimental
value (a Delco? Ha!)you're right to give up. Why knock yourself out?
Just swap it out.
JR

G wrote:

[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
jakdedert

tiffer wrote:
How many connections? There shouldn't be more than ground, power and
speaker. Have you determined which is ground with an ohm meter?

Don't forget 'switched power', 'always on' power (for memory retention),
illumination power, and antenna power...to name a few more possibilities.

jak

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Kennedy

Well if it is a modern delco radio like those in a Chevy / GM vehicle you
could always buy a wiring harness adapter that gives you labeled wires for
installing a new cd player or radio. You could use this to find out what
wires are what.

- Mike
"jakdedert" wrote in message
tiffer wrote:
How many connections? There shouldn't be more than ground, power and
speaker. Have you determined which is ground with an ohm meter?

Don't forget 'switched power', 'always on' power (for memory retention),
illumination power, and antenna power...to name a few more possibilities.

jak

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Travis Jordan

G wrote:
Just when you think you've heard everything - I've been looking for
some real basic connector pinout info for a Delco AM/FM receiver that

Given the make, model, and year you might be able to find the
information on Crutchfield's site (well, at least you could find a cheap
connector adapter..).

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael A. Terrell

tiffer wrote:

How many connections? There shouldn't be more than ground, power and
speaker. Have you determined which is ground with an ohm meter?

Have you looked at any Delco car radio since the mid '60s? They did
use a three wire harness, plus a separate pilot lamp that was connected
to he dimmer for the dash lamps. By the early '70s they had three
separate plugs.

--
HELP! My sig file has escaped! ;-)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael A. Terrell

G wrote:

Just when you think you've heard everything - I've been looking for some
real basic connector pinout info for a Delco AM/FM receiver that was in
a John Deere bulldozer........posted a rq on here with no
help...searched way too long via Google and tried to determine some
basic pinout info by studying the mainboard inside (sort of stuff I've
done successfully for about 30 years or so) - first time that a basic
receiver made so little sense.

Did you do as I suggested and check out the factory manual for the
piece of heavy equipment? Every GM manual I've ever had, had the wiring
diagrams for the vehicle and all optional accessories. An factory
authorized servicer should have the manual. As far as searching Google,
there are a number of sites that sell wiring harnesses. Here in Ocala
there are a number of car stereo places that stock the replacement plugs
where someone cut off the original connector. You can even find them at
Circuit City, where they sell car audio. Take the radio to any one of
them and see which plug fits. The packaging has the wiring diagram.

--
HELP! My sig file has escaped! ;-)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
tiffer

Don't forget 'switched power', 'always on' power (for memory retention),
illumination power, and antenna power...to name a few more possibilities.

perhaps if we had the year it would help. I was assuming this was
pretty old. I guess some of those John Deere's are pretty fancy.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Hugh Prescott

tiffer wrote:
Don't forget 'switched power', 'always on' power (for memory retention),
illumination power, and antenna power...to name a few more possibilities.

perhaps if we had the year it would help. I was assuming this was
pretty old. I guess some of those John Deere's are pretty fancy.

Top of the line JD combine with GPS etc etc etc is near $ 1 million.

Cost of the AM/FM/CD radio insignificant.

But the farmer wants his comforts.

Hugh
Iowa farmer
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
jakdedert

Hugh Prescott wrote:
tiffer wrote:
Don't forget 'switched power', 'always on' power (for memory retention),
illumination power, and antenna power...to name a few more
possibilities.

perhaps if we had the year it would help. I was assuming this was
pretty old. I guess some of those John Deere's are pretty fancy.

Top of the line JD combine with GPS etc etc etc is near $ 1 million.

Cost of the AM/FM/CD radio insignificant.

But the farmer wants his comforts.

Don't we all...and why not?

jak

Hugh
Iowa farmer

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Beloved Leader

You know who I would ask? Crutchfield.

http://www.crutchfield.com/
"Get Expert Shopping Help"
1-888-955-6000

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
tiffer

Have you looked at any Delco car radio since the mid '60s? They did
use a three wire harness, plus a separate pilot lamp that was connected
to he dimmer for the dash lamps. By the early '70s they had three
separate plugs.

I'm still stuck in the 60's