Posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.repair
Fred McKenzie

Default The Perfect Gift: A Tool Box

Most everyone has a screwdriver or two laying around the house, but not
everyone has a minimum collection stored in a tool box. If you know a
young person graduating from high school, a single relative, or even
yourself, a tool box with a minimum complement of tools may be the perfect
gift.

Based on my own experience, the BASIC TOOL BOX should include:

A plastic or metal box such as the 13² plastic box from Walmart or the 14²
plastic box from Lowes. The box should have a secure latch that wonıt
come open when picked up.

#1 Philips screwdriver

#2 Philips screwdriver

1/8² Flat blade screwdriver

1/4² Flat blade screwdriver

Standard pair of slip-joint pliers with insulated handle

Diagonal cutters with insulated handle

Long nose pliers with side cutter and insulated handle

Small claw hammer such as Sears 3805 - 7 oz.

Depending on your knowledge of the individualıs needs and the size of the
box, additional items might include:

Full-size hammer

Crowbar or pry-lever

Flashlight

Tire pressure gauge(s)

Pocket knife & sharpening stone

Soldering iron & solder & soldering braid

Digital multimeter

Set of nut drivers

Set of Allen wrenches

Set of Torx drivers

You get the idea!

73, Fred, K4DII

#1 Philips screwdriver

#2 Philips screwdriver

1/8² Flat blade screwdriver

1/4² Flat blade screwdriver

==================================
What about Posidrive screwdrivers ? These are similar to Philips type of
screwdrivers but have additional 'notches' (if that is the correct word)
for better grip . The relevant screw heads are accordingly.

Frank , GM0CSZ / KN6WH

PS Most screws used in the UK are now of the Posidrive type.

#1 Philips screwdriver

#2 Philips screwdriver

1/8² Flat blade screwdriver

1/4² Flat blade screwdriver

Standard pair of slip-joint pliers with insulated handle

Diagonal cutters with insulated handle

Long nose pliers with side cutter and insulated handle

Small claw hammer such as Sears 3805 - 7 oz.

Depending on your knowledge of the individualıs needs and the size of the
box, additional items might include:

Full-size hammer

Crowbar or pry-lever

Flashlight

Tire pressure gauge(s)

Pocket knife & sharpening stone

Soldering iron & solder & soldering braid

Digital multimeter

Set of nut drivers

Set of Allen wrenches

Set of Torx drivers

You get the idea!

73, Fred, K4DII

Dunno why it didn't occur to me...thankfully it 'did' occur to my wife:
Bought almost the exact (above) setup for my prospective son-in-law
for Christmas. He's mechanically dis-inclined. We're gonna fix that.
Can't have a s-in-l who can't fix stuff....

jak

Posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.repair
Jerry G.

And... You plan to work on SMD circuit boards with this!!!

Jerry G.
======

Posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.repair
Fred McKenzie

In article , Highland Ham
wrote:

What about Posidrive screwdrivers ? These are similar to Philips type of
screwdrivers but have additional 'notches' (if that is the correct word)
for better grip . The relevant screw heads are accordingly.

Frank-

I've heard of Posidrive. I think they are used in an old Hewlett Packard
counter I have. However, the tool dealers I asked had never heard of
them. I ended up using a common Phillips driver for my counter.

Certainly Posidrive would be a better choice where they are more commonly used.

Fred
Posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.repair
Michael A. Terrell

"Jerry G." wrote:

And... You plan to work on SMD circuit boards with this!!!

Jerry G.
======

I see that you still have reading comprehension problems, Jerry.
Anyway, no one in their right mind would try to cram a good SMD rework
station into any toobox. There is no way I would let anyone shove a
stereo microscope into a toolbox.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.repair
Roy Lewallen

Fred McKenzie wrote:
I've heard of Posidrive. I think they are used in an old Hewlett Packard
counter I have. However, the tool dealers I asked had never heard of
them. I ended up using a common Phillips driver for my counter.

Certainly Posidrive would be a better choice where they are more commonly used.

I'd consider looking for some other tool dealers to do business with.
Pozidriv (a registered trademark of Phillips Screw Co.) screws and
drivers are very common, sold by just about every tool company from
Snap-on through Stanley to Sears.

Tektronix used Pozidriv screws exclusively for many years, until they
converted over to Torx. A standard Phillips bit fits poorly in a
Pozidriv screw, making it really easy to chew up the screw with this
combination. Any decent toolbox should include some Pozidriv drivers or
bits.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL
Posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.repair
Michael A. Terrell

Mr Fed UP wrote:

Heh heh dont forget the asprin and $50 for the headache and one
tool you'll always have to go get for each job. And a 6" or 8"
knuckle buistin adjustable wrench. LOL

Don't forget a 4" pipe wrench for those tight spots! It has been a
real life saver to remove broken studs and broken pieces of bolts. I
have one made by Rigid.

BTW, you won't bust your knuckles if you buy a real wrench. 8" is too
short to get a good grip on things. I have a 12" and a 14" "New Britain"
adjustable, along with a 4" Xcelite in my electronics tools.

The only tools I usually have to buy these days are new ones to
replace what walks away.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.repair
Silfax

On 2006-04-17, Fred McKenzie wrote:

A plastic or metal box such as the 13² plastic box from Walmart or the 14²
plastic box from Lowes. The box should have a secure latch that wonıt
come open when picked up.

snip a bunch of good stuff

6" and 12" adjustable wench
12' tape measure (25' would be better)
mechanical pencil, extra leads and a small notepad

Posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.repair
Silfax

On 2006-04-18, Silfax wrote:

6" and 12" adjustable wench

oops I meant wrench, although a flexible wench might not be a bad idea
either (but she should be bigger than 12 inches....)
Posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.repair
jakdedert

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Mr Fed UP wrote:
Heh heh dont forget the asprin and $50 for the headache and one
tool you'll always have to go get for each job. And a 6" or 8"
knuckle buistin adjustable wrench. LOL

Don't forget a 4" pipe wrench for those tight spots! It has been a
real life saver to remove broken studs and broken pieces of bolts. I
have one made by Rigid.

BTW, you won't bust your knuckles if you buy a real wrench. 8" is too
short to get a good grip on things. I have a 12" and a 14" "New Britain"
adjustable, along with a 4" Xcelite in my electronics tools.

A common problem is to turn the adjustable wrench around the *wrong
way*! I've had people argue that there is no wrong orientation for the
common 'C' (Crescent) wrench, but there most certainly is. Do it wrong
and you'll be fine 75% of the time; but that one time when you need it
to really bite--and you do it wrong--*you* are the one who gets bitten.

The only tools I usually have to buy these days are new ones to
replace what walks away.

Boy Howdy! I recently moved my office/shop and salvaged the buildings
on the property at the same time. I'm still trying to find all my tools....

jak

Posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.repair
Joel Kolstad

Roy,

"Roy Lewallen" wrote in message
Tektronix used Pozidriv screws exclusively for many years, until they
converted over to Torx. A standard Phillips bit fits poorly in a Pozidriv
screw, making it really easy to chew up the screw with this combination.

How well does it work the other way around -- using Pozidriv screwdrivers on
"regular old" Phillips-head screws?

Posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.repair
Michael A. Terrell

jakdedert wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Mr Fed UP wrote:
[...]

Yes, most people seem to use it backwards where the stress is against
the front of the movable jaw, rather than the back where its supposed to
be. It doesn't matter if the item is fairly loose, but when you really
need the torque, it needs to be turned the right way. Maybe they need
to cast notches for your fingers to show people the right way to use it!
;-)

The only tools I usually have to buy these days are new ones to
replace what walks away.

Boy Howdy! I recently moved my office/shop and salvaged the buildings
on the property at the same time. I'm still trying to find all my tools....

jak

I'm trying to but my shop back together. I haven't really worked in
the shop since the middle of 2001, right before I got sick and lost my
job. Now, its been five years and two years of hurricanes that made the
mess even worse. Some squirrels nested in the building and chewed the
cords off of everything in sight. I had to put rat poison in there to
kill them all. I'm missing two cordless drills, two surface grinders
and enough hand tools to fill a couple large toolboxes. Since I no
longer do any work away from home I have started hanging what is left on
pegboard over the different workbenches.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.repair
Bill Turner

Tektronix used Pozidriv screws exclusively for many years, until they
converted over to Torx. A standard Phillips bit fits poorly in a
Pozidriv screw, making it really easy to chew up the screw with this
combination. Any decent toolbox should include some Pozidriv drivers
or bits.

The flutes on a Phillips bit are tapered; on a Pozidrive they are
parallel. In many cases you can use either bit on the other, but if
available, use the correct one.

A Phillips bit can "lever" itself out due to the taper, where a
Pozidrive will not.

Bill, W6WRT
ex Tektronix employee

Posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.repair
Roy Lewallen

Joel Kolstad wrote:
Roy,

"Roy Lewallen" wrote in message
Tektronix used Pozidriv screws exclusively for many years, until they
converted over to Torx. A standard Phillips bit fits poorly in a Pozidriv
screw, making it really easy to chew up the screw with this combination.

How well does it work the other way around -- using Pozidriv screwdrivers on
"regular old" Phillips-head screws?

In my experience, it works better than using a Phillips driver on a
Pozidriv screw. But it still doesn't fit really well.

Roy Lewallen
Posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.repair
Fred McKenzie

In article , Roy Lewallen
wrote:

I'd consider looking for some other tool dealers to do business with.
Pozidriv (a registered trademark of Phillips Screw Co.) screws and
drivers are very common, sold by just about every tool company from
Snap-on through Stanley to Sears.

OK Guys! I've done some more checking, and still can't find a store that
sells Posidrive or Pozidrive. I have one lead to a specialty tool store
across the state, but the local Ace, Sears and Lowes don't carry either
the screws or the drivers.

I can see where the Posidrive may be used in some electronic equipment,
but all of the screws in the hinges in my house, as well as the screws
holding the locks on the doors, are definitely Phillips. Are Posidrive
screws used for those applications in other countries?

I can see now that my original list should have stopped without the
additional items. The purpose was to define a really BASIC set of tools
for use around the home!

Fred
Posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.repair
Dave Platt

In article ,
Fred McKenzie wrote:

OK Guys! I've done some more checking, and still can't find a store that
sells Posidrive or Pozidrive. I have one lead to a specialty tool store
across the state, but the local Ace, Sears and Lowes don't carry either
the screws or the drivers.

I haven't seen complete Pozidrive drivers anywhere around here, but
Orchard Supply (local hardware outlet) has Pozidrive bits in several
sizes, which will go into the usual magnetic-hex-socket driver
handles. In fact, just yesterday I glanced over their $2.99 "17 bits
in a small carrying case" assortment by the cash register, and found
that it contains 3 Phillips and 3 similarly-sized Pozidrive bits.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.repair
dick on the langwang

I've kept a long, slim, scalpel (+ pack of spare blades) in my toolbox
for over 40yrs, wouldn't be without them. Can be used for cutting,
poking, as an improvised instrument probe and (if push comes to shove)
the final solution to that b****r of a problem ........ provided you
fit a new blade first !!

Posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.repair
Highland Ham

I can see where the Posidrive may be used in some electronic equipment,
but all of the screws in the hinges in my house, as well as the screws
holding the locks on the doors, are definitely Phillips. Are Posidrive
screws used for those applications in other countries?

==============================
Most wood screws in (at least)western Europe are now posidrive ,because
the grip is so much better ,which is necessary due to the frequent use
of electric screwdrivers.

A tool company Draper are selling chromium-vanadium steel screwdrivers
in sets with coloured plastic grips (in the UK)
A set comprises 3x3 ,total of 9 screwdrivers
Flat blade : Red grip
Phillips : Blue grip (or is it Philips?)
Posidrive : Green grip

Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH

Posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.repair
Highland Ham

dick on the langwang wrote:
I've kept a long, slim, scalpel (+ pack of spare blades) in my toolbox
for over 40yrs, wouldn't be without them. Can be used for cutting,
poking, as an improvised instrument probe and (if push comes to shove)
the final solution to that b****r of a problem ........ provided you
fit a new blade first !!

===========================
Talking tools , I consider different dental 'poking'utensils and
twizzers essential for dealing with circuit boards ,especially in the
homebrewing arena. I use these frequently.

Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH

Posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.repair
jakdedert

Highland Ham wrote:
dick on the langwang wrote:
I've kept a long, slim, scalpel (+ pack of spare blades) in my toolbox
for over 40yrs, wouldn't be without them. Can be used for cutting,
poking, as an improvised instrument probe and (if push comes to shove)
the final solution to that b****r of a problem ........ provided you
fit a new blade first !!

===========================
Talking tools , I consider different dental 'poking'utensils and
twizzers essential for dealing with circuit boards ,especially in the
homebrewing arena. I use these frequently.

Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH

....and on medical instruments: a pair or two (or three) of locking
medical forceps are indispensable...rubber gloves are handy...syringes
are good for dispensing various compounds, especially glue.

Posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.repair
Michael A. Terrell

dick on the langwang wrote:

I've kept a long, slim, scalpel (+ pack of spare blades) in my toolbox
for over 40yrs, wouldn't be without them. Can be used for cutting,
poking, as an improvised instrument probe and (if push comes to shove)
the final solution to that b****r of a problem ........ provided you
fit a new blade first !!

You can buy an Exacto knife a lot easier, and there are a lot of
different blades available.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.repair
Tom Holden

"Fred McKenzie" wrote in message
In article , Highland Ham
wrote:

What about Posidrive screwdrivers ? These are similar to Philips type of
screwdrivers but have additional 'notches' (if that is the correct word)
for better grip . The relevant screw heads are accordingly.

Frank-

I've heard of Posidrive. I think they are used in an old Hewlett Packard
counter I have. However, the tool dealers I asked had never heard of
them. I ended up using a common Phillips driver for my counter.

Certainly Posidrive would be a better choice where they are more commonly
used.

Fred

In that vein, Canadians would have Robertson screwdrivers in their basic
toolbox for home use. Described, with history, at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robertson_screwdriver .

Tom

Posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.repair
Michael A. Terrell

wrote:

What about Posidrive screwdrivers ? These are similar to Philips type of
screwdrivers but have additional 'notches' (if that is the correct word)
for better grip . The relevant screw heads are accordingly.

Frank-

I've heard of Posidrive. I think they are used in an old Hewlett Packard
counter I have. However, the tool dealers I asked had never heard of
them. I ended up using a common Phillips driver for my counter.

Certainly Posidrive would be a better choice where they are more commonly
used.

Fred

In that vein, Canadians would have Robertson screwdrivers in their basic
toolbox for home use. Described, with history, at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robertson_screwdriver .

Tom

I despise Robertson screws, along with the "Clutch head" screws.
Every time I run into either of them, someone has put them in with a
worn bit that strips the head and makes them almost impossible to
remove. I've used surface grinders, drills, and a cutting torch to
remove them to make repairs. I generally replace them with hex head
screws and make sure that I always inspect the bit before I start a job.
prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.repair
Bill Turner

Posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.repair
Michael Kennedy

I've never seen anything with a posidrive screw in it.. They aren't used
very much in the USA or at least in Florida... I have yet to need a
posidrive screwdriver and I've taken all kinds of things apart in my life..
I consider a good set of torx and allen wrenches a necessity along with a
set of sockets and wrenches and of course a small set of jewlers
screwdrivers and mini torx bits, hammers, saws, etc...

The funny thing is I never knew what that weird looking phillips bit I had
was called until today.

- Mike

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.repair
Bill Turner

Posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.repair
Michael A. Terrell

Posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.repair
Michael A. Terrell

Michael Kennedy wrote:

I've never seen anything with a posidrive screw in it.. They aren't used
very much in the USA or at least in Florida... I have yet to need a
posidrive screwdriver and I've taken all kinds of things apart in my life..
I consider a good set of torx and allen wrenches a necessity along with a
set of sockets and wrenches and of course a small set of jewlers
screwdrivers and mini torx bits, hammers, saws, etc...

The funny thing is I never knew what that weird looking phillips bit I had
was called until today.

Microdyne and Lockheed-Martin both use it, although Microdyne has
moved out of the area.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.repair
Tom Holden

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
I despise Robertson screws, along with the "Clutch head" screws.
Every time I run into either of them, someone has put them in with a
worn bit that strips the head and makes them almost impossible to
remove. I've used surface grinders, drills, and a cutting torch to
remove them to make repairs. I generally replace them with hex head
screws and make sure that I always inspect the bit before I start a job.
--

Misdirected feelings - should be towards worn bits of all types that can
mess up all types of screws. Don't blame the screw for the fault of the bit

Tom

Posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.repair
Michael A. Terrell

Tom Holden wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
I despise Robertson screws, along with the "Clutch head" screws.
Every time I run into either of them, someone has put them in with a
worn bit that strips the head and makes them almost impossible to
remove. I've used surface grinders, drills, and a cutting torch to
remove them to make repairs. I generally replace them with hex head
screws and make sure that I always inspect the bit before I start a job.
--

Misdirected feelings - should be towards worn bits of all types that can
mess up all types of screws. Don't blame the screw for the fault of the bit
and the recklessness of the user. Among the three common wood screws here
(slot, Phillips and Robertson), I'll take the Robbie anyday. The ability of
the bit to retain the screw is a big advantage.

Tom

You can have all of them. I'll keep using hex and torx head screws,
thank you! ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.repair
Bill Turner

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 15:38:10 GMT, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

You can have all of them. I'll keep using hex and torx head screws,
thank you! ;-)

Posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.repair
Roy Lewallen

Greg Neill wrote:

The Robertson drive screws are ubiquitous in Canada where
they were first made (in 1908) and patented. They are less
so in the U.S. due to the fact that, after one business
fiasco with licensing the right to manufacture to a third
party in England, Robertson refused to license it to any
one else, including Ford in the U.S. Ford would not adopt
any screw for its production lines for which it could not
guarantee unbroken availability, despite the fact that the
screw proved to save considerable time in the production
of cars. So, they never really caught on there like they
did in Canada.

They're catching on. I recently had my deck surface replaced, and nearly
all the screws are square drive. (The remainder are Torx.) It's the
first use I've seen of them here. They're readily available now at Home
Depot and, I assume, other DIY stores.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL
Posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.repair
Michael A. Terrell

Roy Lewallen wrote:

Greg Neill wrote:

[...]

They have been used in mobile homes for years in the US. I can buy
them bulk at several local building surplus stores. There are several
mobile home manufacturers in the area that dump a lot of leftover or
damaged items.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.repair
Bill Turner

Posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.repair
Michael A. Terrell

wrote:

They have been used in mobile homes for years in the US. I can buy
them bulk at several local building surplus stores. There are several
mobile home manufacturers in the area that dump a lot of leftover or
damaged items.

I would think one advantage of square drive would be it is nearly
impossible to strip the drive hole, unlike Phillips and especially hex
(Allen). I think I'll scout around for some for my next building
project in 6-32, 8-32 and 10-32.

Who knows, might even try metric sizes.

Bill, W6WRT

I have never seen them with machine screw threads, only as wood
screws.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.repair
Greg Neill

Bill Turner wrote:

I would think one advantage of square drive would be it is nearly
impossible to strip the drive hole, unlike Phillips and especially hex
(Allen). I think I'll scout around for some for my next building
project in 6-32, 8-32 and 10-32.

Who knows, might even try metric sizes.

Bill, W6WRT

I have never seen them with machine screw threads, only as wood
screws.

Ah, you poor deprived person! Got 'em aplenty up
here in the Great White North!