Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Robert11

Default Anyone With Any Knowledge Regarding How Water Temp's are Determined In Washing Mach. ?

Hello:

For anyone that might have any knowledge regarding how water temp's are
determined for a front loading washing machine:

My wife is driving me crazy over this.
Claims that when our machine is on "cold" the water is way too warm.

We have a Maytag Neptune Washing Machine purchased in 2003 (Horiz. model)
The Model No. is: MAH 5500BWW.

Would like to understand how they adjust the water temp's that you select
like
"warm", etc. ?

Is there an actual thermostat, or do they just "time" the e.g., cold inflow
of water, or are there different orifice openings to control amount of,
or... ?

Do these things (if a thermostat / thermistor, or control board) tend to go
bad often ? Anything else that might be the problem ?

Thanks,

Bob

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Robert11 wrote:
Hello:

For anyone that might have any knowledge regarding how water temp's are
determined for a front loading washing machine:

I'm pretty sure that on all the machines I've ever used, there are just
two solenoid valves. "Cold" opens the cold one, "hot" opens the hot
one, and "warm" opens both. There's a level sensor, of course, but no
temp sensor. If you have a fancy computerized machine, though, things
may be different.

If the "cold" water is any warmer than cold tap water, then perhaps
Maytag has discovered a temperature that is warm enough to give better
cleaning performance, but cool enough to prevent damage. I never really
gave it much thought, actually; I pretty much wash everything on
"regular."

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Shawn D'Alimonte

wrote:
If the "cold" water is any warmer than cold tap water, then perhaps
Maytag has discovered a temperature that is warm enough to give better
cleaning performance, but cool enough to prevent damage.

According to the manual cold is 65F and warm is 105F. It doesn't say
what hot is, but I guess it is whatever comes out of the tap (Probably
around 130F depending on your water heater setting). These seem to
match the temperatures used for laundry symbols (See for example
http://www.textileaffairs.com/c-common.htm).

It does this by mixing hot and cold water. Some models have a heater
which would have another button under the temperature buttons.

The laundry guide that came with the machine states that cold tap water
is usually too cold to make detergent work properly.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
webpa

Robert11 wrote:
[...]

You might consider verifying that the hot and cold inlet hoses are not
reversed.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Travis Jordan

Shawn D'Alimonte wrote:
The laundry guide that came with the machine states that cold tap
water is usually too cold to make detergent work properly.

Just FYI, Consumer Reports debunked this statement years ago. Virtually
all modern laundry detergents work just as well in cold water as they do
in warm.