Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Yamaha Amp cutting out !

I am new to this forum and I want to thank anyone in advance who can
help me with my problem.
My friend's stereo amplifier has not worked for a while and I just
surprised her by replacing her amp ( Onkyo ) with a Yamaha A 700. After
connecting everything the stereo seemed to work fine but then the sound
suddenly cut off ( with an audible click) the came back on a few
seconds latter. This would happen everytime I turned up the volume or
changed the balance or switched from stereo to mono. Apparently this is
what happened with her old amp!! The amp seems to cut off in response
to some increased load. She live in an old row home that has been
partially rewired. The outlet is fused to a 20 amp fuse, and the fuse
does not blow.The speaker wire runs through the walls and connected to
terminals on a wall plate. A TV pluged into the same outlet works fine.
(not running TV at the same time). there is no hum or distortion and
the amp does not feel hot. At low vol it plays without cutting out.
What could be the problem ?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
GregS

In article .com, wrote:
[...]

Measure the DC ohms of the system. You can buy a cheap tester
if you don't have one. Disconnecte the stereo and measure for
low ohms. The reading should be somewhere above 6 ohms
or thereabouts. If it says 3 ohms you have trouble.
You should also have infinite ohms
between left and right normally, allthough a common line
might be used and be OK, but in some cases not be OK.
greg
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Leonard Caillouet

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Look for old glue that has dried out and absorbed moisture from the air and
become corrosive, particularly around the PS caps.

Leonard

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JANA

The speaker boxes may have a fault, or are much too low in impedance for the
amplifiers. Sometimes especially low cost speakers or the crossovers can go
defective, and cause amplifier problems.

--

JANA
_____

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mark D. Zacharias

Chuck wrote:
On 11 Apr 2006 08:00:28 -0700, wrote:

[...]

Shorted speaker wires. If the wall plate is metal, that's where I'd
check first. Easy test. Obtain some speaker wire and hook the
speakers directly up to the amplifier and see if the problem remains.
If it does, then the speakers are faulty. Rare but it occasionally
happens. Chuck

Classic speaker wire problem.

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Ware

"Leonard Caillouet" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

In both units?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Ware

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

You say both units have the same symptoms? Just take a pair of simple, 8 ohm
speakers (that you know are in working order) and some wire over to her
house and hook up her amp to them, directly. Crank it up and see if it still
does it.

I am with the other posters on this, either there is a wiring problem
somewhere, or a speaker problem. You don't mention the brand/model/impedence
of the speakers you are using. Just look on the back of them, it's likely
the impedence is on a label back there.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
jakdedert

Michael Ware wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I wouldn't discount the ventilation issues that I raised earlier. If he
put the TT on top of the receiver, or otherwise reduced its breathing
room (a good bet) in order to accommodate the TT; it could very well
cause the symptoms described.

jak

cutting board John Grossbohlin Woodworking 12 September 24th 04 12:12 AM
Painting a room...cutting in Jo UK diy 2 September 21st 04 07:03 AM
Basics on Depth of Cuts Chris S Metalworking 10 September 2nd 03 03:15 AM
gas or not? Joe Metalworking 11 July 29th 03 09:29 AM