Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Ware

Default Yamaha Amp cutting out !

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am new to this forum and I want to thank anyone in advance who can
help me with my problem.
My friend's stereo amplifier has not worked for a while and I just
surprised her by replacing her amp ( Onkyo ) with a Yamaha A 700. After
connecting everything the stereo seemed to work fine but then the sound
suddenly cut off ( with an audible click) the came back on a few
seconds latter. This would happen everytime I turned up the volume or
changed the balance or switched from stereo to mono. Apparently this is
what happened with her old amp!! The amp seems to cut off in response
to some increased load. She live in an old row home that has been
partially rewired. The outlet is fused to a 20 amp fuse, and the fuse
does not blow.The speaker wire runs through the walls and connected to
terminals on a wall plate. A TV pluged into the same outlet works fine.
(not running TV at the same time). there is no hum or distortion and
the amp does not feel hot. At low vol it plays without cutting out.
What could be the problem ?

You say both units have the same symptoms? Just take a pair of simple, 8 ohm
speakers (that you know are in working order) and some wire over to her
house and hook up her amp to them, directly. Crank it up and see if it still
does it.

I am with the other posters on this, either there is a wiring problem
somewhere, or a speaker problem. You don't mention the brand/model/impedence
of the speakers you are using. Just look on the back of them, it's likely
the impedence is on a label back there.