Posted to sci.electronics.repair
RB

Default wiring joint question

Got a 12ga wire running along under a panel in a hard to get to place. With
great efforts and contortions, I can reach it to cut it and strip insulation
of the cut ends.

What I need to do is rejoin the cut ends, and come off with an additional
wire to go to a different location.

If there's slack, I can put the three ends together and use a wire nut.

Assuming there isn't enough slack for the wire nut trick, are there any neat
little critters out there for this specific purpose? What are they called?
Who has 'em?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
sofie

The wire nut spice has to be in a (grounded) junction box, outlet box or
switch box or other electrical box.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

"RB" wrote in message
Got a 12ga wire running along under a panel in a hard to get to place.

With
great efforts and contortions, I can reach it to cut it and strip

insulation
of the cut ends.

What I need to do is rejoin the cut ends, and come off with an additional
wire to go to a different location.

If there's slack, I can put the three ends together and use a wire nut.

Assuming there isn't enough slack for the wire nut trick, are there any

neat
little critters out there for this specific purpose? What are they

called?
Who has 'em?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
3T39

Hello, RB!
You wrote on Mon, 3 Apr 2006 16:02:41 -0500:

R Got a 12ga wire running along under a panel in a hard to get to
R place. With
R great efforts and contortions, I can reach it to cut it and strip
R insulation
R of the cut ends.

R What I need to do is rejoin the cut ends, and come off with an
R additional
R wire to go to a different location.

R If there's slack, I can put the three ends together and use a wire
R nut.

R Assuming there isn't enough slack for the wire nut trick, are there
R any neat
R little critters out there for this specific purpose? What are they
R called?
R Who has 'em?

Is this mains wiring? search google for junction box!

With best regards, 3T39. E-mail:

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Ware

"RB" wrote in message
Got a 12ga wire running along under a panel in a hard to get to place.

With
great efforts and contortions, I can reach it to cut it and strip

insulation
of the cut ends.

What I need to do is rejoin the cut ends, and come off with an additional
wire to go to a different location.

If there's slack, I can put the three ends together and use a wire nut.

Assuming there isn't enough slack for the wire nut trick, are there any

neat
little critters out there for this specific purpose? What are they

called?
They're called electricians. Call one before you burn your house down.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily

"RB" wrote in message
Got a 12ga wire running along under a panel in a hard to get to place.
With great efforts and contortions, I can reach it to cut it and strip
insulation of the cut ends.

What I need to do is rejoin the cut ends, and come off with an additional
wire to go to a different location.

If there's slack, I can put the three ends together and use a wire nut.

Assuming there isn't enough slack for the wire nut trick, are there any
neat little critters out there for this specific purpose? What are they
called? Who has 'em?

You can get some neat butt-splice connectors that don't even need you to cut
the wire. They have knife blade contacts that cut through the insulation. I
think they were originally created for use in automotive electrical systems,
so are probably only specced for low voltage, but probably worth looking at.
Try

http://www.tessco.com/products/displ...&subgroupId=24

where there's a few different types listed - look halfway down under "
splice connectors ".

I seem to recall that 3M also make some gel-filled ones for more hostile
environments.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave

"RB" wrote in message
Got a 12ga wire running along under a panel in a hard to get to place.
With great efforts and contortions, I can reach it to cut it and strip
insulation of the cut ends.

What I need to do is rejoin the cut ends, and come off with an additional
wire to go to a different location.

If there's slack, I can put the three ends together and use a wire nut.

Assuming there isn't enough slack for the wire nut trick, are there any
neat little critters out there for this specific purpose? What are they
called? Who has 'em?

Where's the panel? In your car or truck running 12 volts? If so, there are
crimp-able connectors available at home supply, electric supply stores or
auto parts stores that sell that sort of thing. You can usually buy the
crimper and the connectors in a kit. I usually put "ring connectors" on each
wire and bolt them all up with a small nut and bolt. Then wrap it well with
electrical tape and heat shrink tubing (remember to slip the tubing on
before bolting and taping so you can slip it back over everything).

If it's 120 or 240 volt, then splicing is a really bad idea. Have a new line
run from the breaker panel by a licensed electrician.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
RB

Great answers. Thanks.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Rich256

Arfa Daily wrote:
"RB" wrote in message
[...]

Absolution do not use knife blade for 12 gauge!! I even dislike them
for automobile use. Sooner or later they fail.

Wiring question Gina and Les Home Repair 20 September 10th 05 03:45 PM
240V wiring question gk Home Repair 14 August 9th 05 08:19 AM
Circuit Breaker Wiring Question ? Robert11 Home Repair 3 August 7th 05 01:11 PM
Cooker element wiring question (and LPG deconversion as well) Diplomat APD5701 Martin P Matthews UK diy 1 August 1st 05 10:00 AM
Really dumb question about electrical wiring Neil Ralley Home Repair 8 August 24th 04 07:47 PM