Posted to sci.electronics.repair
carneyke

Default Sony KP-46WT510 Burnt Power Supply / High Voltage Board

Hello, This projection set is 18 months old (6 months out of warranty)
and belongs to my son's friend. He told me it burnt up and smoke came
out. I went and found the board is burnt near the HOT and under a high
voltage capacitor (maybe C8092).I cleaned up the board and fired it up
and instantly flames came from the board. I didn't remove the board but
it appears there is damage undernearth. I looked for coolant leaks and
obvious signs of why this thing burnt and found none (including a
Google search). Does anyone know if there is a problem with this set
that may be covered under some silent warranty ? He is young and just
spent $ 1800 on this 18 months ago. Should he call Sony and beg for a
repair ???? The board has this number in blank ink on it (A-1302-180A)
and silkscreened in white is (A-1405-140-A) on the upper part of the
chassis were three numbers and this was the upper number (A-1604-504).
Thanks in Advance, Kevin

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jerry G.

Call Sony parts, and order a complete new board. This is the procedure.
The power supply and HV transformer must be verified before switching
on with the new board.

This is the reason why extended warrenties are recomended for these
types of sets.

Parts and modules are fairly expensive for this set.

Jerry G.