Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Power supply

I have a Compaq Presario 6010 us about 2-1/2 yrs old. It has XP home
-sp2, 736 mb ram, 40 GB hd, 1.4 ghz cpu.
Several days ago It suddenly went dead, no blue screen- power was off .
It rebooted right away but crashed again in a few minutes. I smelled
something like hot phenolic material. After a little checking I found
that the power supply fan was not working. I gave it a little nudge and
it spun up. Now it quits occasionally, even if it's on in sleep mode
overnight and I have to reboot. Ordinarily I'd just get a new fan and
install it but years ago I had the same problem with a different
computer. After I'd put in 3 new fans I found that the problem was low
voltage from the power supply. Before I go and buy a Compaq power
supply or fan I'd like to determine exactly what the problem is. When
I'm using the computer I"ve noticed that the fan sometimes turns of
then on later. I moderated the fan voltage with my multimeter and found
that the voltage would drop to about 4.5v and the fan would stop. Later
the voltage would rise at about 1 v per minute until it got to 10.5 v
and the fan would restart.The fan seemed to bind a little so I squirted
in a little penetrating oil. It freed up but it still sometimes crashes
overnight. Does the power supply have some sort of heat sensor that
regulates the fan speed according to temp or is the PS going bad? The
voltage it feeds to the other hardware is satisfactory. I've never paid
any attention to this until I started having troubles.
Any ideas?
Engineman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks for your reply Iggy. I admire you because you want to learn,
unlike some on this NG. I'm hoping to learn something too.
I could buy another power supply (and may do that) but first I'm
wondering what the actual problem is. Is the fan bad and the PS just
doing it's thing or does the varying voltage indicate a PS problem?
Since the voltage seems to be stable from all other outlets I'm
considering connecting my fan to an unused cable for some other piece
of hardware.

Engineman

2. Ignoramus16420
Dec 22, 1:15 pm show options

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
From: Ignoramus16420 - Find
messages by this author

Note: The author of this message requested that it not be archived.
This message will be removed from Groups in 6 days (Dec 29, 1:15 pm).

On 22 Dec 2005 13:03:07 -0800,
wrote:

I have a Compaq Presario 6010 us about 2-1/2 yrs old. It has XP home
-sp2, 736 mb ram, 40 GB hd, 1.4 ghz cpu.
Several days ago It suddenly went dead, no blue screen- power was off .
It rebooted right away but crashed again in a few minutes. I smelled
something like hot phenolic material. After a little checking I found
that the power supply fan was not working.

The same exact thing happened to me a week ago. The fan died so the
power supply would shut down on overheat. I had a spare power supply
around, so I swapped the bad one for the newer one.

These power supplies are cheaply made and do not last very well beyond
5 years.

I gave it a little nudge and it spun up. Now it quits occasionally,
even if it's on in sleep mode overnight and I have to
reboot. Ordinarily I'd just get a new fan and install it but years
ago I had the same problem with a different computer. After I'd put
in 3 new fans I found that the problem was low voltage from the
power supply. Before I go and buy a Compaq power supply

I hope that your power supply can be replaced with generic power
supplies. You can take your power supply out (it is junk anyway) and
go to a computer store, and ask if they have a replacement for you.

or fan I'd like to determine exactly what the problem is. When I'm
using the computer I"ve noticed that the fan sometimes turns of then
on later. I moderated the fan voltage with my multimeter and found
that the voltage would drop to about 4.5v and the fan would
stop. Later the voltage would rise at about 1 v per minute until it
got to 10.5 v and the fan would restart.The fan seemed to bind a
little so I squirted in a little penetrating oil. It freed up but it
still sometimes crashes overnight. Does the power supply have some
sort of heat sensor that regulates the fan speed according to temp
or is the PS going bad? The voltage it feeds to the other hardware
is satisfactory. I've never paid any attention to this until I
started having troubles. Any ideas? Engineman

I think that the proper solution is to replace the POS power supply
with a new power supply. They are not expensive. I never owned compaqs
(always generic computers), so I would not know exactly, but I hope
that you can easily swap the power supply. It is a 5 minute job.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington

I had a fan fail in a similar manner, it took a while to sort out what
was causing the smell. I never had any problem with the computer
crashing, it kept on running even though the power supply fan had
stopped. I replaced the fan and its been running ever since. The power
supply is now about 6+ years old and the original fan failed after about
2 years. The computer runs almost 24-7 so its doing well. The
replacement fan I bought is I suspect somewhat better quality than the
original.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Anthony

wrote in news:1135285386.928753.279380
@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

[...]

It is possible that the fan is temperature controlled, but doubtful.
Sounds like an internal power supply problem, and could be indicative of
things getting worse down the road.
I would just purchase a new power supply. The only things you really
need to know a
a. ATX or mATX
b. Minimum wattage required for your computer. You may have to go with a
larger supply, as about the minimum you can get now is 300W.
c. +5vsb amperage required for your computer. If you ever think you will
upgrade or replace the motherboard, make sure the power supply will
provide at least 2A to the +5vsb.
Check out
www.geeks.com Good folks to deal with.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Cydrome Leader

wrote:
Thanks for your reply Iggy. I admire you because you want to learn,
unlike some on this NG. I'm hoping to learn something too.
I could buy another power supply (and may do that) but first I'm
wondering what the actual problem is. Is the fan bad and the PS just

chinese fans are garbage is the problem. If you have a spare swap the fan,
if not, just get a new power supply. Since you mentioned Compaq it's
likely there's something nonstandard about the power supply itself, be it
size, how it mounts or the connectors.

doing it's thing or does the varying voltage indicate a PS problem?
Since the voltage seems to be stable from all other outlets I'm
considering connecting my fan to an unused cable for some other piece
of hardware.

Engineman

2. Ignoramus16420
Dec 22, 1:15 pm show options

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
William B Noble (don't reply to this address)

for what it's worth, there are two designs for these fans, one with
ball bearings, one with bushings - the one with bushings typically
fails by having the oil disappear, and can be repaired once or twice
by reoiling - after that the busings are shot and you can toss the fan
or change the bushings.

to oil, remove the fan, remove the label from the center of the fan.
in the center you will see a small plastic split washer that acts like
a "C" clip to h old the fan in place. remove it, and remove the one
or two washers below it (remember the order they came out in so you
can put them back the same way). pull the fan blade assembly off,
lubricate the bushings, and reassemble. it should be good for another
year or two.

On 22 Dec 2005 13:03:07 -0800,
wrote:

I have a Compaq Presario 6010 us about 2-1/2 yrs old. It has XP home
-sp2, 736 mb ram, 40 GB hd, 1.4 ghz cpu.
Several days ago It suddenly went dead, no blue screen- power was off .
It rebooted right away but crashed again in a few minutes. I smelled
something like hot phenolic material. After a little checking I found
that the power supply fan was not working.

Bill

www.wbnoble.com

to contact me, do not reply to this message,
instead correct this address and use it

will iam_ b_ No ble at msn daught com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner

WAY not worth screwing around with! This IS your warning! Please trust me,
Let's say the PS does one little glitch...and takes out a memory module,
motherboard, CPU and hard drive. The PS is the cheapest part, no? That
computer still has some life in it, if it was a p3 I'd say to play with it.
I wish I would get warnings like this, but noooo...Puffff.

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 22:43:21 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

chinese fans are garbage is the problem. If you have a spare swap the fan,
if not, just get a new power supply. Since you mentioned Compaq it's
likely there's something nonstandard about the power supply itself, be it
size, how it mounts or the connectors.

I have been warned by someone who knows, about Dell power supplies -
you can't even rely on their own brand being swap able.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

The uP's have sensors under them or inside as the case of some.
The fans are modulated to the airflow needed. If the room is cool it might
take a while - and if the cpu is in sleep mode - maybe not at all.

Drove us crazy in the lab - like an engine fan today - never know when a fan
starts up.

I'd contact Compaq - and inquire. You likely have a power saving mode on and
that might be part of it.

RMB (right mouse button) in the open desk top and go to settings - .. see the world -
select that settings...

Martin

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

[...]

The large hysteresis band (stops at 4.5 volts, won't restart until 10
volts) strongly suggests that your fan is toast, probably bearings.
It should vary speed smoothly and continuously as drive voltage
varies.

The fact that the voltage varies indicates that the supply does
measure temperature and adjust fan excitation accordingly. This is
very probably to meet energy saving requirements. Elex mfrs go to
great lengths to save a watt wherever they can. It may also be an
attempt to extend fan life.

Fans are mechanical devices that eventually wear out. Heat is what
kills the elex in power supplies. The cooler they run, the longer
they last. I have supplies that have run for over a decade.

If you don't mind the noise, I'd say get the biggest fan you can fit
in the available space and run it at full speed all the time. Also,
while you're in there, blow all the dust and crap out of the supply
and the puter, especially off the various heatsinks. There may be a
little fan right on the 1.4 GHz CPU. If there is, cover that when
blowing around it so you don't spin its little blades off.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 22:43:05 GMT, Anthony
wrote:

It is possible that the fan is temperature controlled, but doubtful.
Sounds like an internal power supply problem, and could be indicative of
things getting worse down the road.
I would just purchase a new power supply. The only things you really
need to know a
a. ATX or mATX
b. Minimum wattage required for your computer. You may have to go with a
larger supply, as about the minimum you can get now is 300W.
c. +5vsb amperage required for your computer. If you ever think you will
upgrade or replace the motherboard, make sure the power supply will
provide at least 2A to the +5vsb.
Check out www.geeks.com Good folks to deal with.

Different 'puters can use different voltages. Used to be elex was
pretty much all 5 volts but some more recent stuff runs on 3.3 and
some new stuff may be running at even lower voltages. Some SOA
silicon runs at under 1 volt. Less power, less heat, more speed.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Compaqs used to have everything custom, virtually nothing generic would
fit, not even memory. Don't know about things since HP got their mitts
on them.

It IS warning you here, swap or fix the PS before you cook something
else. On a lot of cheaply built boxes, the PS fan is the only thing
keeping the MB from cooking itself. If a generic PS will fit, make
sure it has ball-bearing fan(s), more than one would be nice. Most
desktops are built to a price and don't have components to take 24-7
duty. That's part of why server cans are more expensive.

If you're handy with a soldering iron, you could crack the PS can and
swap fans, usually there's some kind of connector to the main PS board
but nothing is standardized. If you're lucky, the replacement fan will
plug right up and work, if not, you get to cut and splice leads. Since
things got hot enough to cook at least once, you're taking a chance
here with just replacing a fan. I've done a lot of this type of
replacement in the past when I could scrounge good surplus fans for
cheap. These days, a fan's going to cost you about a third of what a
cheap supply costs off the shelf, more if it's ball-bearing.
Replacement fans can be had at retail from the likes of Digi-Key and
Mouser. Radio Shack has some types, too, if you just gotta go local,
no pedigree with those and about the same price as the name-brands.

I've had good luck with Antec brand power supplies, Power Supply and
Cooling ones are good, too, just expensive. I think P.S.&C. also offer
some supplies for some of the brands with custom units. You could
contact them for recommendations, anyway, doesn't cost to ask.

Stan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Martin, I think you're onto something. There's no reason that my
desktop machine needs to change fan speeds to pinch pennies. Before I
get a new PS i'd like to see if I can set it for full speed all the
time and solve my problem simply. I went into control panel/ power
options/power schemes tab and tried all combinations of settings. Each
time I got the message "Power policy manager unable to set policy" and
"Indicates two revision levels are incompatable". Do you know how to
set this feature? Compaq was no help.
John

12. Martin H. Eastburn
Dec 22, 7:35 pm show options

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
From: "Martin H. Eastburn" - Find messages
by this author
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 21:35:42 -0600
Subject: Power supply
original | Report Abuse

The uP's have sensors under them or inside as the case of some.
The fans are modulated to the airflow needed. If the room is cool it
might
take a while - and if the cpu is in sleep mode - maybe not at all.

Drove us crazy in the lab - like an engine fan today - never know when
a fan
starts up.

I'd contact Compaq - and inquire. You likely have a power saving mode
on and
that might be part of it.

RMB (right mouse button) in the open desk top and go to settings - ..
see the world -
select that settings...

Martin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rich Grise

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 11:17:14 -0600, Don Foreman wrote:

[...]

Another problem with spinning a fan by air is that they become generators.

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Anthony

Don Foreman wrote in
news

Different 'puters can use different voltages. Used to be elex was
pretty much all 5 volts but some more recent stuff runs on 3.3 and
some new stuff may be running at even lower voltages. Some SOA
silicon runs at under 1 volt. Less power, less heat, more speed.

The +5vsb supplies the USB ports on your computer, among other things. It
is a separate output of the power supply and I have yet to see a
motherboard of anywhere near recent vintage (last 5 years or so) that did
not require it. The thing to watch..is the supply CURRENT for the +5vsb.
Most modern motherboards require a minimum of 2A to be available on the +
5vsb supply.
An ATX or mATX is a standard. It will provide all the required voltages.
They now incorporate supply voltage for SATA equipment, as well as the
stand-alone +12V 4 prong supply for the high-performance chips.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 21:15:04 GMT, Ignoramus16420
wrote:

[...]

With compaq..it could be a bitch..some are unique to Compaq.

PC powersupplies fair with some regularity, and are readily available
at computer or electonic stores, or suplus computer places.

THough on the other hand..I need 4-6 AT style, 275 or more watt power
supplies each year..and they are getting harder to find.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Wanted: Someone to examine switchmode power supply... William R. Walsh Electronics Repair 2 October 9th 05 01:09 PM
Need help re power supply for new Digital (DLP) tv R. Bharat Rao Home Ownership 3 February 24th 05 03:43 AM
Metal Working Machinery New and Used in Australia and for Export [email protected] Metalworking 0 February 23rd 05 02:54 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Sony KV-2782R and 2785R, power supply problems. Michael Parker Electronics Repair 1 October 23rd 03 08:56 AM