Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Andy Cuffe

Default Deskjet 692C flashing resume light

I was given a hp Deskjet 692C printer that won't print. When powered
on it goes through the normal start up routine, but when I try to
print it feeds the paper and then the resume light starts flashing.
The print head remains at the far right. Nothing short of turning it
off and on again will clear the error and return the print head. It
successfully ejects the paper next time it's turned on, so I know it's
not a paper feed, or paper sensor problem. Attempting to print the
internal self test results in a flashing resume light before it even
attempts to feed any paper.

I've cleaned the optical encoder strip and checked for obvious
mechanical problems. It doesn't make any unusual noises. I'd like to
rule out anything common and simple before I toss it.
Andy Cuffe

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
nvic

It is time to toss it. I had a deskjet 3820 that does the same thing.
When connected to a computer, the computer monitor displays "Mechanism
Error. Please call for service". The printer flashes the resume light.
Pushing its resume button does nothing other than make the printer
flash an error sequence. The problem is the unit has lost its ability
to communicate with the cradle motor and can't move the cradle out of
the storage area on the right.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Beloved Leader

I believe I have one or two of those, but I don't use them. During this
test, is the printer connected to a computer, or are you trying to run
it in a stand-alone mode?

I have a pair of 612C printers that have a weird problem. I found both
in the trash. One, I've had for a while, and I have the driver,
downloaded from HP, on the computer. I attached the more recent one I
found to the computer. It wouldn't work. I attached the original
printer to the computer, and it did work. For a while. Then, after
working flawlessly for several pages, it stopped working too. I changed
cables, to no effect. My guess, and it is only a guess, is the the plug
and play printer identifies itself to the computer not only as a 612C
printer, but as a 612C printer with a specific serial number. I suspect
that, in an effort to thwart pirated software, HP requires that the
printer with a unique serial number originally in use with the software
is the only one that the driver will recognize. If you use the software
with a 612C with a different serial number, it won't work.

Maybe, if you reinstall the software and try printing, this time the
printer will work.

I emphasize that this is only a guess, and that I could be all wrong.
But in an era when ink tanks report to the computer that is time for a
change, whether they still have ink or not, is it really farfetched?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Andy Cuffe

Default Fixed: Deskjet 692C flashing resume light

It was the color ink cartridge.

I was ready to throw the printer away, so I decided to try swapping
the color ink cartridge. Not wanting to buy an ink cartridge for a
malfunctioning printer, I replaced the color cartridge with the photo
black cartridge. The photo black cartridge looks the same as the
color cartridge, but has black, light cyan and light magenta inks and
is keyed to fit into the black ink slot. I just broke off the keying
tab so it could be installed in the color cartridge slot. This made
the printer happy and it's now printing fine in B/W.

I'd like to thank hp for not mentioning on their web site that a bad
ink cartridge can cause this error.

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 17:00:43 -0800, Andy Cuffe
wrote:

I was given a hp Deskjet 692C printer that won't print. When powered
on it goes through the normal start up routine, but when I try to
print it feeds the paper and then the resume light starts flashing.
The print head remains at the far right. Nothing short of turning it
off and on again will clear the error and return the print head. It
successfully ejects the paper next time it's turned on, so I know it's
not a paper feed, or paper sensor problem. Attempting to print the
internal self test results in a flashing resume light before it even
attempts to feed any paper.

I've cleaned the optical encoder strip and checked for obvious
mechanical problems. It doesn't make any unusual noises. I'd like to
rule out anything common and simple before I toss it.
Andy Cuffe

Andy Cuffe

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Beloved Leader

**I'd like to thank hp for not mentioning on their web site that a bad
ink cartridge can cause this error.**

Well, gosh, I'm sure it's for your own good. Maybe I should look into
that on my 612C's Thanks for the update.