Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Andy Cuffe

Default Deskjet 692C flashing resume light

I was given a hp Deskjet 692C printer that won't print. When powered
on it goes through the normal start up routine, but when I try to
print it feeds the paper and then the resume light starts flashing.
The print head remains at the far right. Nothing short of turning it
off and on again will clear the error and return the print head. It
successfully ejects the paper next time it's turned on, so I know it's
not a paper feed, or paper sensor problem. Attempting to print the
internal self test results in a flashing resume light before it even
attempts to feed any paper.

I've cleaned the optical encoder strip and checked for obvious
mechanical problems. It doesn't make any unusual noises. I'd like to
rule out anything common and simple before I toss it.
Andy Cuffe