Posted to sci.electronics.repair
steveosmith

Default Sound but no picture

This seems to be a pretty technical forum, I hope this isn't too
simplistic of a question.

My big-screen RCA TV suddenly displays just a black screen. Sound's
OK. I've tried different inputs, both satellite and DVD, in three
different input options - co-axial cable, RCA jacks (in video 1 and
video 2 input jacks), but to no avail.

The puzzling part is, when I change the volume, I see the volume bar
on the screen. Plus, I can access the built-in menu for the TV. But I
cannot see the satellite menu.

Anyone have any thoughts as to how I can correct this? Or should I
leave it to a repairman?

Thanks in advance!
Steve.

-------------= Posted from Ugroups.com =-------------
---= Fast & Free Web Portal to Usenet Newsgroups =---
-------------= http://www.ugroups.com/ =-------------

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jeff Hackler

steveosmith wrote:
This seems to be a pretty technical forum, I hope this isn't too
simplistic of a question.

My big-screen RCA TV suddenly displays just a black screen. Sound's
OK. I've tried different inputs, both satellite and DVD, in three
different input options - co-axial cable, RCA jacks (in video 1 and
video 2 input jacks), but to no avail.

The puzzling part is, when I change the volume, I see the volume bar
on the screen. Plus, I can access the built-in menu for the TV. But I
cannot see the satellite menu.

Anyone have any thoughts as to how I can correct this? Or should I
leave it to a repairman?

Thanks in advance!
Steve.

-------------= Posted from Ugroups.com =-------------
---= Fast & Free Web Portal to Usenet Newsgroups =---
-------------= http://www.ugroups.com/ =-------------

LOOK FOR A KNOB THAT SAYS BRIGHTNESS AND ANOTHER ONE THAT SAYS CONTRAST
AND TURN BOTH OF THEM TO THE RIGHT AND THAT SHOULD FIX YOUR PROBLEM.

DOOFUS

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ol' Duffer

Closed caption and PIP malfunctions sometimes do things like this.
GemStar module also has been known for a variety of ills.

In article , steveosmith@hotmail-
dot-com.no-spam.invalid says...
This seems to be a pretty technical forum, I hope this isn't too
simplistic of a question.

My big-screen RCA TV suddenly displays just a black screen. Sound's
OK. I've tried different inputs, both satellite and DVD, in three
different input options - co-axial cable, RCA jacks (in video 1 and
video 2 input jacks), but to no avail.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John-Del

steveosmith wrote:

The puzzling part is, when I change the volume, I see the volume bar
on the screen. Plus, I can access the built-in menu for the TV. But I
cannot see the satellite menu.

Unplug the TV from wherever it gets it's AC for 2 minutes, and plug it
back in. There is a 75% chance it will work ok. The only way to reset
the system control to clear software glitches is by unplugging.

If not, repair would be well beyond anyone unfamiliar with projection
TVs.

John

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jeff Hackler

John-Del wrote:
steveosmith wrote:

The puzzling part is, when I change the volume, I see the volume bar
on the screen. Plus, I can access the built-in menu for the TV. But I
cannot see the satellite menu.

Unplug the TV from wherever it gets it's AC for 2 minutes, and plug it
back in. There is a 75% chance it will work ok. The only way to reset
the system control to clear software glitches is by unplugging.

If not, repair would be well beyond anyone unfamiliar with projection
TVs.

John

THAT'S WHAT YOU DO WITH MACINTOSH COMPUTERS, NOT TV SETS.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Absolutely, unplug it to reset the system control. With all the
different manifestations of the Gemstar circuit in an RCA, many odd
problems are easily fixed with a simple unplugging to reset any
software glitches.

Beyond that troubleshooting by a qualified technician will be required.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
tvguy

steveosmithwrote:
[...]

You didn`t give us to much to go be to be able to help you. The first
thing is whats the model number on this. Second, I would call a
repairman in to check it out for you if you don`t know the basic of
tv repair because you maybe getting in over your head with this
depending on the chassis number on it.