Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair
DaveC

Default Cap ID & value?

Trying to determine type of caps these three are so as to find replacements.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

In the case that the identical type (ie, tantalum, etc.) is not available
locally, what type can I use to replace these? I have this selection to
choose from at my local electronics shop:
- monolythic ceramic
- ceramic Disc
- dipped tantalum
and a limited selection of:
- dipped silver mica (metallized polyester film)
- mylar (metallized polyester)

If these are inappropriate as replacements, I'll order the appropriate ones,
but would like to get this fixed today.

These caps are used on a car alarm PCB (not in the RF stage).

(All of these caps are "tubular" in shape; no vertical height, per se.)
- - -
First unknown is he
http://us.f13.yahoofs.com/bc/4404892....jpg?bfyjJBEB4
LTzgM2b

Markings:
104K
K5R

100000pF ?
Unpolarized.
What's "K5R" ?
- - -
Second unknown is he
http://us.f13.yahoofs.com/bc/4404892....jpg?bfyjJBEBu
KtifpMu

Markings:
474K
+35M

470000pF ?
35v ?
Presume "+" indicates polarity.
- - -
Third unknown is he
http://us.f13.yahoofs.com/bc/4404892....jpg?bfyjJBEBi
5f.AUtB

I have the color codes and can figure out the values, but what type of cap is
this? A fourth type is similar to this type, but has a pink background.
- - -
Thanks,
--
DaveC

This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair
Dave

"DaveC" wrote in message
news.net...
Trying to determine type of caps these three are so as to find

replacements.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

15 seconds of effort on Google and you'll have all of your answers.

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair
DaveC

Thus spake Dave:

15 seconds of effort on Google and you'll have all of your answers.

That is a worthless statement.

Why do you think that we all have the same abilities or experience to Google
this topic? It all depends on what terms you use. You apparently use more
accurate terms, as I have spend much time searching and find no answer. Not
being an expert at this topic, I'm wasting much more than 15 seconds to find
the meagre results I came up with. At what point to you ask yourself "Someone
must know this answer." Should we all not use USENET at all? What the hell is
its purpose if not to ask questions? At what point do I ask for help?

If you can't answer the question ASKED, don't bother to reply.
--
DaveC

This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair
Travis Jordan

DaveC wrote:
Thus spake Dave:

15 seconds of effort on Google and you'll have all of your answers.

That is a worthless statement.

Why do you think that we all have the same abilities or experience to
Google this topic? It all depends on what terms you use. You
apparently use more accurate terms, as I have spend much time
searching and find no answer. Not being an expert at this topic, I'm
wasting much more than 15 seconds to find the meagre results I came
up with. At what point to you ask yourself "Someone must know this
answer." Should we all not use USENET at all? What the hell is its
purpose if not to ask questions? At what point do I ask for help?

Google on "capacitor markings"

You're welcome.

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair
Dave

"DaveC" wrote in message
news.net...
Thus spake Dave:

15 seconds of effort on Google and you'll have all of your answers.

That is a worthless statement.

Why do you think that we all have the same abilities or experience to

Google
this topic? It all depends on what terms you use. You apparently use more
accurate terms, as I have spend much time searching and find no answer.

Not
being an expert at this topic, I'm wasting much more than 15 seconds to

find
the meagre results I came up with. At what point to you ask yourself

"Someone
must know this answer." Should we all not use USENET at all? What the hell

is
its purpose if not to ask questions? At what point do I ask for help?

"Capacitor identification" keyed into Google search = 437,000 hits.

Dare I ask what you were using for search terms? If you are too lazy or
stupid to perform the above, I am not inclined to spoon-feed you. Sorry.

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair
Travis Jordan

Dave wrote:
Dare I ask what you were using for search terms? If you are too lazy
or stupid to perform the above, I am not inclined to spoon-feed you.

Obviously you are too lazy to read my post.

PLONK.

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair
Travis Jordan

Travis Jordan wrote:
Dave wrote:
Dare I ask what you were using for search terms? If you are too
lazy or stupid to perform the above, I am not inclined to
spoon-feed you.

Obviously you are too lazy to read my post.

Ooops - sorry Dave, I thought you were DaveC. My apologies.

BTW, when I Google on ""Capacitor identification" I get:
Results 1 - 20 of about 647 English pages for "Capacitor
identification". (0.12 seconds)

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair
DaveC

Thus spake Dave:

"Capacitor identification" keyed into Google search = 437,000 hits.

Most of the first page of these hits are all about capacitor value
determination (markings decode), nothing that can tell me what KIND these
caps are.

Anyone help me find out what kind these caps are?

Thanks,
--
DaveC

This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair
Travis Jordan

DaveC wrote:
Anyone help me find out what kind these caps are?

Read my post again.

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair
DaveC

Thus spake Travis Jordan:

Read my post again.

I did. Prior to my last post I Googled with your terms.

I find lots and lots of "how to decode cap markings" but nothing to help me
identify the KIND of caps these are.

These may very well be tantalum or ceramic or poly-something, or some other
kind that is shown on these pages, but they sure don't look like them.

If I'm missing something, please help. If all you have time to do is call
names and insult, don't bother.
--
DaveC

This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair
Travis Jordan

DaveC wrote:
Thus spake Travis Jordan:

Read my post again.

I did. Prior to my last post I Googled with your terms.

I find lots and lots of "how to decode cap markings" but nothing to
help me identify the KIND of caps these are.

These may very well be tantalum or ceramic or poly-something, or some
other kind that is shown on these pages, but they sure don't look
like them.

If I'm missing something, please help. If all you have time to do is
call names and insult, don't bother.

I think you are missing the " (quotes).
The very first link that Google returns is what you need.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Insomniac

Can't look at pics, says not authorized. How about uploading them to
Imageshack - http://www.imageshack.us/ - and putting the
links here?

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair
DaveC

I think you are missing the " (quotes).
The very first link that Google returns is what you need.

http://www.electronics2000.co.uk/

There's nothing on that site re. cap. identification other than some info on
decoding markings. The TYPE markings don't correspond to anything on these
caps.
--
DaveC

This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair
Alan

On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 03:13:24 GMT, Alan
wrote:

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 10:32:36 -0800, DaveC wrote:

[...]

I'm afraid your going to have to get out a general component supplier
catalogue and look at the pretty pictures!

The 104K refers to the value (100000pf) and the temp co-efficient.
The K5R is the dielectric used in the manufacture of the cap
+35M is the working voltage - not sure of the M.

But you really need to find the manufacturer (by looking for similar
pictures) and then search their site for caps that match the ones
youve got.

By the way I can't access your pictures (even when I fix for the
word-wrap).

Alan

Sorry that should read:
The 104K refers to the value (100000pf) and the tolerance (10%).
The K5R is the dielectric used in the manufacture of the cap
+35M is the working voltage M = 20% tolerance.

Alan

--
Sell your surplus electronic components at
http://ozcomponents.com
Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair
ehsjr

DaveC wrote:
[...]

I can't get to the urls you posted (I get a yahoo forbidden,
even when I avoid the line wrap). In all probability the type
is non-critical. You could probably use anything in a plastic
film or ceramic of the right value, but choose whatever you
can get with the highest temperature rating. In a car, things
can get hot.

Ed

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair
Dave

"DaveC" wrote in message
news.net...
I think you are missing the " (quotes).
The very first link that Google returns is what you need.

http://www.electronics2000.co.uk/

There's nothing on that site re. cap. identification other than some info

on
decoding markings. The TYPE markings don't correspond to anything on these
caps.
--
DaveC

This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

http://www.uoguelph.ca/~antoon/gadgets/caps/caps.html

Approximately 30 seconds of searching. You're welcome.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.components
DaveC

Default New photo links!

Thus spake Ross Herbert:

For a start, all 3 Yahoo links to your pics return Forbidden. ie.
can't get access to the pics because I am not authorised to view the
pages. Therefore, it is difficult for anyone to see exactly what the caps
look like.

Sorry for the bogus links. When I tested them they worked for me (doncha hate
that?). Apparently Yahoo allows "storage" of files for my retrieval only.
What's that about?

Here's my original post with good links.

Thanks for your help.
- - -
Trying to determine type of caps these three are so as to find replacements.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

In the case that the identical type (ie, tantalum, etc.) is not available
locally, what type can I use to replace these? I have this selection to
choose from at my local electronics shop:
- monolythic ceramic
- ceramic Disc
- dipped tantalum
and a limited selection of:
- dipped silver mica (metallized polyester film)
- mylar (metallized polyester)

If these are inappropriate as replacements, I'll order the appropriate ones,
but would like to get this fixed today.

These caps are used on a car alarm PCB (not in the RF stage).

(All of these caps are "tubular" in shape; no vertical height, per se.)
- - -
First unknown is he
http://www.hostmypic.info/uploads/fbfaf28704.jpg

Markings:
104K
K5R

100000pF ?
Unpolarized.
What's "K5R" ?
- - -
Second unknown is he
http://www.hostmypic.info/uploads/c5935b8518.jpg

Markings:
474K
+35M

470000pF ?
35v ?
Presume "+" indicates polarity.
- - -
Third unknown is he
http://www.hostmypic.info/uploads/5706cea606.jpg

This is ceramic (axial), yes?
--
DaveC

This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.components
Bob

"DaveC" wrote in message
news.net...
[...]

Cap look like a Tantalum.
Value looks like .1 uf

100000pF ?
Unpolarized.
What's "K5R" ?
- - -
Second unknown is he
http://www.hostmypic.info/uploads/c5935b8518.jpg

Markings:
474K
+35M

That looks like a monolithic.
Value looks like .47 uf

470000pF ?
35v ?
Presume "+" indicates polarity.
- - -
Third unknown is he
http://www.hostmypic.info/uploads/5706cea606.jpg

The item in the middle of the pic looks like a resistor. Off to the right
looks like a monolithic.

Why are you replacing these parts? The cap types pictured typically don't
change value like an electrolytic would in the heat of a car. In fact, both
monolithic, and tantalum caps have a habit of failing shorted, followed by
open if there's enough current. They are then easy to find ; )

This is ceramic (axial), yes?
--
DaveC

This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair
DaveC

Thus spake ehsjr:

I can't get to the urls you posted (I get a yahoo forbidden,
even when I avoid the line wrap). In all probability the type
is non-critical. You could probably use anything in a plastic
film or ceramic of the right value, but choose whatever you
can get with the highest temperature rating. In a car, things
can get hot.

Ed

-=-=-=-

Thanks for your reply, Ed.

The first of the caps has a tapered end which I presume is some kind of
polarity indication. (See my new post with correct links to photos.) Doesn't
this make it some kind of electrolytic? Or tantalum?
--
DaveC

This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
tvguy

Why don`t you just take that cap that you have to your local parts
store and ask them to match you up to the right one or even go to
your local radioshack to see if they can help you. It is obvious that
we cannot see your cap to tell you what it is to be able to help you
in the way that you would like to be helped. Plus why are you
replacing these caps if you don`t know what type they are and if that
is the case how do you know that these caps are bad ????