Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.components
Bob

Default New photo links!

"DaveC" wrote in message
news.net...
Thus spake Ross Herbert:

For a start, all 3 Yahoo links to your pics return Forbidden. ie.
can't get access to the pics because I am not authorised to view the
pages. Therefore, it is difficult for anyone to see exactly what the caps
look like.

Sorry for the bogus links. When I tested them they worked for me (doncha
hate
that?). Apparently Yahoo allows "storage" of files for my retrieval only.
What's that about?

Here's my original post with good links.

Thanks for your help.
- - -
Trying to determine type of caps these three are so as to find
replacements.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

In the case that the identical type (ie, tantalum, etc.) is not available
locally, what type can I use to replace these? I have this selection to
choose from at my local electronics shop:
- monolythic ceramic
- ceramic Disc
- dipped tantalum
and a limited selection of:
- dipped silver mica (metallized polyester film)
- mylar (metallized polyester)

If these are inappropriate as replacements, I'll order the appropriate
ones,
but would like to get this fixed today.

These caps are used on a car alarm PCB (not in the RF stage).

(All of these caps are "tubular" in shape; no vertical height, per se.)
- - -
First unknown is he
http://www.hostmypic.info/uploads/fbfaf28704.jpg

Markings:
104K
K5R

Cap look like a Tantalum.
Value looks like .1 uf

100000pF ?
Unpolarized.
What's "K5R" ?
- - -
Second unknown is he
http://www.hostmypic.info/uploads/c5935b8518.jpg

Markings:
474K
+35M

That looks like a monolithic.
Value looks like .47 uf

470000pF ?
35v ?
Presume "+" indicates polarity.
- - -
Third unknown is he
http://www.hostmypic.info/uploads/5706cea606.jpg

The item in the middle of the pic looks like a resistor. Off to the right
looks like a monolithic.

Why are you replacing these parts? The cap types pictured typically don't
change value like an electrolytic would in the heat of a car. In fact, both
monolithic, and tantalum caps have a habit of failing shorted, followed by
open if there's enough current. They are then easy to find ; )

This is ceramic (axial), yes?
--
DaveC

This is an invalid return address