Posted to sci.electronics.repair
carl0s

Default What is this chip? Voltage regulator?

I am experimenting repairing a dead thinkpad x20. The machines power light
flicks momentarily when the dc jack is inserted or removed.
I accidentally shorted a couple of pins on this IC, and now the behaviour is
much different, with lights doing funny things.

Anyhoo, the machine was dead to begin with..

I wonder if somebody could please tell me what this IC does, and how I might
find a replacement to try out?

Here's a pictu
http://www.uk2sucks.net/ic.JPG

thanks,
Carl

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave D

"carl0s" wrote in message
I am experimenting repairing a dead thinkpad x20. The machines power light
flicks momentarily when the dc jack is inserted or removed.
I accidentally shorted a couple of pins on this IC, and now the behaviour
is much different, with lights doing funny things.

Anyhoo, the machine was dead to begin with..

I wonder if somebody could please tell me what this IC does, and how I
might find a replacement to try out?

Here's a pictu
http://www.uk2sucks.net/ic.JPG

If you look closely it appears that on one side of the 'IC' the pins are all
commoned on a ground plane. This implies to me it is a switching mosfet.
These devices and this package style is common in laptops. I'm not sure if
they are readily available, but I doubt replacing it alone will repair the
laptop anyway.

Dave

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave D

"carl0s" wrote in message
I am experimenting repairing a dead thinkpad x20. The machines power light
flicks momentarily when the dc jack is inserted or removed.

Did you rule out an AC adaptor fault? Measuring its voltage off load is no
use.

I accidentally shorted a couple of pins on this IC, and now the behaviour
is much different, with lights doing funny things.

There may be more extensive damage now. If the screen is good I'd look on
eBay for a working X20 with a cracked screen.

Dave

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Just Another Theremin Fan

I am experimenting repairing a dead thinkpad x20. The machines power
light
flicks momentarily when the dc jack is inserted or removed.
I accidentally shorted a couple of pins on this IC, and now the
behaviour is
much different, with lights doing funny things.

What the flying **** are you on about?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Andy Cuffe

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 10:34:16 -0000, "carl0s"
wrote:

I am experimenting repairing a dead thinkpad x20. The machines power light
flicks momentarily when the dc jack is inserted or removed.
I accidentally shorted a couple of pins on this IC, and now the behaviour is
much different, with lights doing funny things.

Anyhoo, the machine was dead to begin with..

I wonder if somebody could please tell me what this IC does, and how I might
find a replacement to try out?

Here's a pictu
http://www.uk2sucks.net/ic.JPG

thanks,
Carl

There are several X20 motherboards on ebay right now. One is bad, but
might be used as a parts source. If it was my laptop, I'd just buy a
working one from ebay. The chances of repairing a laptop motherboard
are slim to none unless you know exactly what's wrong with it.
Andy Cuffe

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Franc Zabkar

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 10:34:16 -0000, "carl0s"
put finger to keyboard and
composed:

I wonder if somebody could please tell me what this IC does, ...

Here's a pictu
http://www.uk2sucks.net/ic.JPG

Siliconix Si4435 P-Channel 30-V (D-S) MOSFET:
http://www.vishay.com/docs/70149/70149.pdf
http://www.vishay.com/doc?72123

- Franc Zabkar