Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave D

Default What is this chip? Voltage regulator?

"carl0s" wrote in message
I am experimenting repairing a dead thinkpad x20. The machines power light
flicks momentarily when the dc jack is inserted or removed.
I accidentally shorted a couple of pins on this IC, and now the behaviour
is much different, with lights doing funny things.

Anyhoo, the machine was dead to begin with..

I wonder if somebody could please tell me what this IC does, and how I
might find a replacement to try out?

Here's a pictu
http://www.uk2sucks.net/ic.JPG

If you look closely it appears that on one side of the 'IC' the pins are all
commoned on a ground plane. This implies to me it is a switching mosfet.
These devices and this package style is common in laptops. I'm not sure if
they are readily available, but I doubt replacing it alone will repair the
laptop anyway.

Dave