Posted to sci.electronics.repair
tkbirdie

Default Videotape Chewed/Snapped

I put my videotape in the VCR and as I tried to take it out, it would
not eject my tape. Eventually, I managed to get it out and the VCR had
"cut" my tape in half. The tape contains some important programmes, so
I really need the tape. Can I repair it myself or do I need someone to
do it? Do I need some special equipment or can I repair it with
sellotape? If not sellotape, then will invisible tape do the same
thing? The tape is "cut" in the main part of the tape, I think halfway
in. I really need the tape, so all the help is appreciated.
Please help me.
Thanks

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

tkbirdie wrote:
I put my videotape in the VCR and as I tried to take it out, it would
not eject my tape. Eventually, I managed to get it out and the VCR had
"cut" my tape in half. The tape contains some important programmes, so
I really need the tape. Can I repair it myself or do I need someone to
do it? Do I need some special equipment or can I repair it with
sellotape? If not sellotape, then will invisible tape do the same
thing? The tape is "cut" in the main part of the tape, I think halfway
in. I really need the tape, so all the help is appreciated.
Please help me.
Thanks

see the post in alt.video.vcr

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Puckdropper

"b" wrote in news:1139218658.053297.157320
@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

see the post in alt.video.vcr

See also repairfaq.org

The VCR section has what you need.

(Thanks Sam for repairfaq.org, I appreciate it!)

Puckdropper
--
www.uncreativelabs.net

still enjoy using the old computers. Sometimes we want to see how far a
particular system can go, other times we use a stock system to remind
ourselves of what we once had.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
none

On 6 Feb 2006 01:23:59 -0800, "tkbirdie"
wrote:

I put my videotape in the VCR and as I tried to take it out, it would
not eject my tape. Eventually, I managed to get it out and the VCR had
"cut" my tape in half. The tape contains some important programmes, so
I really need the tape. Can I repair it myself or do I need someone to
do it? Do I need some special equipment or can I repair it with
sellotape? If not sellotape, then will invisible tape do the same
thing? The tape is "cut" in the main part of the tape, I think halfway
in. I really need the tape, so all the help is appreciated.
Please help me.
Thanks

Yes you can use regular invisible tape to mend it, though it won't
hold up for repeated plays.
If possible check with your local pro hifi or sound shop. Any place
likely to have splicing tape used in audio recording.( Some of the
better hifi/video shops would carry it as leader splice, so customers
could repair vhs tapes that had "despooled" or snapped their leader.)
If you use the invisible tape I'd recommend you dub what's on that
tape over to a new one for safe keeping.
Also the splice should be applied to the back of the video tape, not
the front.
Use a single edge razor blade or an exacto knife to make a clean
vertical cut on both ends of the broken tape, apply the invisible tape
to the back of one side of the tape. Then holding it carefully mate
the other end of the splice flush up to the edge of the taped section.
Ensure the splice is straight, not skewed, then gently apply pressure
to seat the video tape to the adhesive tape.(I use cotton gloves to
avoid getting any skin oils on the video tape, you could simply use a
powder free latex exam glove or a lintless cotton patch when pressing
the splice together.)
Test the splice by gently pulling on either side of the splice to
ensure it'll hold.
If the splice is good then rewind it back into the cassette.
It's imperative not to stick it back into the machine untill it's been
rewound enough to get the splice away from the threading process of
the video deck.( The Threading arms can tear the splice aprt and
you'll wind up with the tape stuck to the arms, heads or drum.)
Use a tape rewinder or simply lift up the dust cover on the tape shell
and push the spool dampner control button to allow you to get the
reels "debraked" so you can manually turn the spools at their hubs.
Once you've got the tape rewound enough you should be able to get at
least one pass out of it to allow you to get a good dub.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

the VCR had cut" my tape in half. The tape contains some important
programmes, so I really need the tape. Can I repair it myself or do I
need someone to do it?

Yes you can use regular invisible tape to mend it, though it won't
hold up for repeated plays.

I have some tapes that were used weekly for several years after being
reattached to the leader with ordinary 1" wide Scotch tape. First
cleaning the surfaces with alcohol may have helped. I never spliced in
the middle, except to make a copy of the broken tape and then toss it,
that is, make 2 shorter tapes from it.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
none

On 8 Feb 2006 06:26:11 -0800, "b" wrote:

wrote:

the VCR had cut" my tape in half. The tape contains some important
programmes, so I really need the tape. Can I repair it myself or do I
need someone to do it?

Yes you can use regular invisible tape to mend it, though it won't
hold up for repeated plays.

I have some tapes that were used weekly for several years after being
reattached to the leader with ordinary 1" wide Scotch tape. First
cleaning the surfaces with alcohol may have helped. I never spliced in
the middle, except to make a copy of the broken tape and then toss it,
that is, make 2 shorter tapes from it.

even when splicing to the leader, scotch tape will, sooner or later,
ooze adhesive onto the adjacent layers of tape and risk sticking the
tape to the drum, tape path and pinch roller when in use. Cleaning that
mess up will be difficult if not impossible if the adhesive gets into
the head gaps on the drum. You are risking a lot by doing that.
-B.

It'll be safe for a pass or two to allow the OP to dub the content
over.
Even then the worst that'll happen is a pull apart and having the tape
stick to the drum or path components, all which can be remedied with
swabs and denatured alchohol.( the adhesive in rgular scotch tape
isn't THAT bad.)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mark D. Zacharias

wrote:

[...]

Or pull the head chips right out of the drum.

Mark Z.