Posted to sci.electronics.repair
giroup01

Default Radio Shack Electronic Kits

The Mims books were 1 aisle over. ;-)

Oh those!! I'm just looking at the Transistor Projects Volume 1, I
must have built all them projects from Volume 0 (Mine has the cover
ripped off, it started with an AM radio project) to Volume 3. He was
getting a tad 'complicated' with the 'Integrated Projects Vol 1', what
with the new breadboard things and the 'new' integrated circuits.

I think it was time he moved on to ICs because 'twas getting a bit
boring with Volume 3.

A quote from the Power Supply project from Vol 1: "If any of the
components show signs of heating, melting, or other unusual
indications, immediately turn the power switch off and unplug the power
cord". Right. In that order.

Also it seemed the only way of "Going Further" was ...enclosures:

"...those who build this one will want to consider a more permanent
assembly" (Power supply - p24)

"The high-brillance flasher is so potentially useful that it's well
worth the small expense of assembling it into a {...} permanent unit."
(Light flasher - p31)

"The metronome is a very practical device and is {...} an ideal
candidate for permanent installation in a housing." (Metronome - p38)

"The first is to mount the device in a permanent housing {...} (Pulse
generator - p56)

"The most obvious improvement on the basic siren prototype is to house
the unit in a permanent enclosure." (Siren - p61)

"If the time-base generator is to be used for a practical application
{...} install it into a permanent housing." (One second time base -
p76)

As to my first Radio Shack kit, mine was the small green plastic
10-in-One from Radio Shack, it had an antenna on the left, a morse-code
key on the right, a transistor, some resistors and capacitors. Then a
few years later Dad gave me the big 150-in-One from Radio Shack. That
was certainly the best!! I remember carrying it all over, and when he
was out on calls fixing TVs I would use his workshop (and the great
antenna feed) when building the radio/telemetry projects. Reception was
very very good.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet

giroup01 wrote:
The Mims books were 1 aisle over. ;-)

Oh those!! I'm just looking at the Transistor Projects Volume 1, I
must have built all them projects from Volume 0 (Mine has the cover
ripped off, it started with an AM radio project) to Volume 3. He was
getting a tad 'complicated' with the 'Integrated Projects Vol 1', what
with the new breadboard things and the 'new' integrated circuits.

Those really were great books, does anyone still offer them anymore?

If not I'll have to see if I can find my green book and scan it into a
pdf, it'd be nice if I could find the rest in the series to do that with.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
giroup01

I have the cover-less book with the transistor radio, light meter, dark
activated lamp, light activated relay, unijunction timer and others,
the Transistor Projects Vol 1 and Vol 3, Integrated Circuit Projects
Vol 1 and Vol 6, and the "ETI Circuits Book 1" (blue cover). Some of
them are missing pages, some of them have drawings and/or notes from
Dad. I don't mind scanning some/all of them, let me know which one's
first.