Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mark

Default Ford PATS override

Is there any way to override the programmed antitheft keys on a Windstar
2000 LX? Right now I'm going to have to have it towed to a Ford dealership
because I disconnected the battery to clean the contacts, and now it won't
recognize my keys. Any help would be appreciated. Mark.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Erich J. Schultheis, The Man with the 15 inch Cock

Mark wrote:
Is there any way to override the programmed antitheft keys on a Windstar
2000 LX? Right now I'm going to have to have it towed to a Ford dealership
because I disconnected the battery to clean the contacts, and now it won't
recognize my keys. Any help would be appreciated. Mark.

Um, you're going to have to get your advice from somewhere else, this
isn't a group intended for helping people steal cars.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
William R. Walsh

Hi!

Um, you're going to have to get your advice from somewhere else, this
isn't a group intended for helping people steal cars.

Who says he's stealing a car? I'm not going to say it doesn't happen. In any
case, every major vehicle maker *warns* you to record the security keys for
the radio should something like this happen.

To the original poster--take your van to the dealership and see what they
say. You may need proof of ownership and they may charge. Depending upon
what it will cost to have the radio unlocked, you may wish to consider
installation of an aftermarket set.

William

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mark

Just wondering, off to the dealership. Thanks.
"William R. Walsh" wrote in
message news:CxKtf.663121$x96.623906@attbi_s72...
Hi!

Um, you're going to have to get your advice from somewhere else, this
isn't a group intended for helping people steal cars.

Who says he's stealing a car? I'm not going to say it doesn't happen. In
any
case, every major vehicle maker *warns* you to record the security keys
for
the radio should something like this happen.

To the original poster--take your van to the dealership and see what they
say. You may need proof of ownership and they may charge. Depending upon
what it will cost to have the radio unlocked, you may wish to consider
installation of an aftermarket set.

William

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Andy Cuffe

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 22:33:19 -0500, "Mark"
wrote:

Is there any way to override the programmed antitheft keys on a Windstar
2000 LX? Right now I'm going to have to have it towed to a Ford dealership
because I disconnected the battery to clean the contacts, and now it won't
recognize my keys. Any help would be appreciated. Mark.

This definitely shouldn't happen when you disconnect the battery.
Andy Cuffe

-- Use this address until 12/31/2005

-- Use this address after 12/31/2005

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
William R. Walsh

Hi!

Just wondering, off to the dealership. Thanks.

One thing I'm not sure about--I think you're actually talking about the keys
that let you start and drive the vehicle...and not the radio. Sorry for any
confusion on that front.

Most of those keys (that I know of) have a resistor of some value in there
that is checked by the vehicle. If the resistor doesn't match the value it
should, then the vehicle won't "accept" the key.

I'd guess that the dealership will have to straighten this out, but you
might check to see if the toothed part of the key is in any way dirty or
misshapen.

William

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
ml

On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 13:26:29 -0500, Andy Cuffe
wrote:

This definitely shouldn't happen when you disconnect the battery.
Andy Cuffe

I'm afraid it definitely will if your car is made by Mercedes or
LandRover. You must never never never disconnect the battery, or let
it go flat.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave D

"William R. Walsh" wrote in
message news:XXVtf.671706$_o.429692@attbi_s71...
Hi!

Just wondering, off to the dealership. Thanks.

One thing I'm not sure about--I think you're actually talking about the
keys
that let you start and drive the vehicle...and not the radio. Sorry for
any
confusion on that front.

Most of those keys (that I know of) have a resistor of some value in there
that is checked by the vehicle. If the resistor doesn't match the value it
should, then the vehicle won't "accept" the key.

Some of them use RFID style transponders built into the keys. When the OP
disconnected the battery it's possible the car's anti theft circuit 'forgot'
its code. It could require the dealer to put it right, or at least some kind
of procedure for the car's computer to re-learn the key code.

Dave

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Franc Zabkar

On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 13:26:29 -0500, Andy Cuffe put
finger to keyboard and composed:

wrote:

Is there any way to override the programmed antitheft keys on a Windstar
2000 LX? Right now I'm going to have to have it towed to a Ford dealership
because I disconnected the battery to clean the contacts, and now it won't
recognize my keys. Any help would be appreciated. Mark.

This definitely shouldn't happen when you disconnect the battery.

Yeah, I would have expected the ECU to retain the key IDs in some kind
of nonvolatile memory.

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

There is a procedure and it requires you to have at least two keys with
the RFID chip. Otherwise the dealer charges ~ $75 plus towing to
reprogram them.

I have seen the procedure posted on line somewhere.

Joe.

snip

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Follow The Money" ;-P

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ralph Mowery

wrote:

This definitely shouldn't happen when you disconnect the battery.
Andy Cuffe

I'm afraid it definitely will if your car is made by Mercedes or
LandRover. You must never never never disconnect the battery, or let
it go flat.

That sure sounds like a big rip off.... Cars should not need to be
reprogrammed if the battery goes flat. I know some did store some
information and would run rough for a while but it would reprogram its self
after driving for a while. At least you would not be stranded where someone
could not jump your car off. Kind of like a guy at work wanted another
remote entry key for a used car he bought. Forgot what the dealer wanted
for the key, but they wanted $ 50 to program it. He bought the key off
e-bay for about $ 15 and got instructions on how to do it. Charging $ 50 to
program one which takes about 5 minuits and only requires opening and
closing the door and turning the switch in a sequence seems way too high.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
ml

On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 07:35:35 +1100, Franc Zabkar
wrote:

Yeah, I would have expected the ECU to retain the key IDs in some kind
of nonvolatile memory.

- Franc Zabkar

They do. It is the first thing to be corrupted when the power fails.
I know a P38 RangeRover has a complex proceedure involving a sequence
of key rotations (unigue to each ecu) to remove the immobiliser.
I have experience of a Mercedes having to go to the dealers for a
reset following a flat battery, I assume the NVR memories that tell it
nothing is faulty got corrupted.

I am a bit of a luddite with cars. My current car has 3 computers,
that "talk" on the CAN bus, and all have to agree to let the engine
start. The instruments are ecu controlled, so I had to drive with no
speedo or rev counter once, luckily a power off/on "fixed" it. The
throttle is electric, so there is a noticable delay between stomping
on the pedal and anything happening. This also means no blipping the
throttle to get low gears in the cold and makes the engine race on
upchanges.

Computers and cars don't mix.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

You need to have TWO working PATS keys in order to program another key.

Without that it has to go to the dealer with the programming tool or
locksmith that has the programming tool.

Whenever removing the battery on vehicles with this feature, there is a
specific place that 12V has to be jumpered into the vehicle to hold the
memory to prevent this problem. I would suggest that you never let the
battery run completely dead and replace it before it fails.

Wonderful feature isn't it. Say you leave your headlights on and the
battery is a few years old and drops below memory holding voltage.
Then you cannot simply jump start the car but have to either pay a
locksmith to come out or pay for the tow to the dealer, just for a dead
battery that in years past could have been jump started. In most
modern vehicles if the battery is really completely dead it is
recommended that you not jump start it as the alternator and charging
circuit has little extra capacity to supply the large current demands
of a completely dead battery.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet

wrote:

This definitely shouldn't happen when you disconnect the battery.
Andy Cuffe

I'm afraid it definitely will if your car is made by Mercedes or
LandRover. You must never never never disconnect the battery, or let
it go flat.

How do you change the battery?

Seems like they'd put a memory backup capacitor or something in there.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Depending on the manufactu
1. You clip a 9-12v battery across two specified terminals in the
service manual before disconnecting the battery. A minimum of around
7.5 volts is required for the security memory to not be lost.
2. You change the battery fast enough. Usually about 3 minutes.
3. You have the dealer replace the battery.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mark

There was no indication either from the dealer or in the manual about not
disconnecting the battery. I actually went to clean the terminals, the
battery was fine, but Ford should have indicated it somewhere. I have a
booster that I could have connected if I'd known. Additionally, the car may
not have had power doors originally, and this aftermarket system may be
playing a role in it. My van requires that I unlock the doors with the
transmitter then use the program key to start it. Normally Windstars don't
require this, just the key to start it. To program other transmitters
there's a reset button that has to be pressed, for which I wasn't aware of,
no instructions about it anywhere, a Codealarm system. After getting
instructions that I rec'd off the web for it, the reprogramming of extra
remotes doesn't work either. So apparently, if I want extra remotes I have
to go to a third party. Thanks for all your help, you guys are alot better
than dealers are.