Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default bizarre self-healing CRT focus?

About two months ago, my Samsung Tantus Digital 32" CRT (non-HD
version) developed a focus problem. It appears to have been a
horizontal focus problem that was minor in the middle of the display,
and pretty bad on the left and right. Vertical focus was not
appreciably affected. Simultaneously, the display became noticably
dimmer with lower contrast. (The latter I adjusted.) How bad was the
focus? Not *that* bad: we couldn't read credits and other small text,
but it was tolerable enough that we didn't immediately rush to fix it.

At one point, we observed that physically unplugging the TV for ~30
minutes temporarily and partially restored the focus. The blur would
settle back in after another ~10 minutes.

This morning, the problem was gone. Focus was sharp, and it looks like
the brightness and contrast were bumped back up too (I haven't gotten
around to adjusting them back to sane levels.)

Any ideas? What could cause this problem to come, and then months
later, go away? Do you think the problem will return?

-Ed

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Andy Cuffe

On 29 Dec 2005 08:55:40 -0800, wrote:

[...]

Intermittents in the focus circuit aren't unusual. It could also be a
short in the CRT. It might be fine now, but chances are it will come
back eventually. If it's still under warranty, you should have it
looked at because the CRT is an expensive part.
Andy Cuffe

-- Use this address until 12/31/2005

-- Use this address after 12/31/2005
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Sadly, it's out of warranty.

That being the case, would it be worth it for me to have someone look
at it? Is there a common cause that an ordinary electrical engineer can
repair?

-Ed

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Yukio YANO

wrote:
Sadly, it's out of warranty.

That being the case, would it be worth it for me to have someone look
at it? Is there a common cause that an ordinary electrical engineer can
repair?

-Ed

Thermal/Mechanical Intermittant to the "Aquadag coating" on the CRT .
(could be internal to the CRT)
The Odd Focusing problem is due to a fluctuating Focus Voltage occuring
at the Horizontal Rate. The Focus Voltage is a rectified Voltage
derived from the Horizontal Sweep/Flyback Transformer. The Focus Voltage
is taken off a Voltage divider across the HV supply that is filtered by
a capacitor formed by the Internal Coating on the CRT and the Black
"Aguadag" coating on the Outside. If this Outside Coating is poorly
Grounded (usually a length of coiled spring wire) the HV will fluctuate
slightly at the Horizontal Rate but will not be readily apparent
because the Picture Tube Phosphours glow at the Frame Rate ~ 16
milli-second.
The Focus Voltage fluctuation are Synced to the Scan Rate and would
appear somewhere near the same distance from the edge of the screen on
every horizontal scan. This Voltage is Not supposed to fluctuate !! The
only Filter Capacitor in this part of the circuit is the Coatings On and
In the CRT. A small sheet of Aluminum Foil under Spring should improve
the contact with the Aquadag Coating.

Is it practical to pay someone to TRY to repair an INTERMITTANT !!!
A lesson in frustration for ALL parties involved.
There is no Joy in repairing an intermittant, only Relief. (could still
be internal to the CRT)

Yukio YANO
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Emilio

Along the sme line - while adjusting an older (1988) RPTV, I noticed that
the focus would change (go blurry) when vhite screen appeared; immediately
return in focus on a dark scren; put a meter on the B+ and noted it stayed
steady. Any ideas?

Emilio

"Yukio YANO" wrote in message
wrote:
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Isaac Wingfield

In article ,
"Emilio" wrote:

Along the sme line - while adjusting an older (1988) RPTV, I noticed that
the focus would change (go blurry) when vhite screen appeared; immediately
return in focus on a dark scren; put a meter on the B+ and noted it stayed
steady. Any ideas?

Focus and ultor voltage are intimately related. The meter acted as a
load across the ultor supply, making it more stable between low and high
current (or brightness).

See if there's some way to improve the HV regulation.

Isaac